Montser Mill Hopper Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Mill positioned on base

001.JPG

Attatched and tightned up to see if roller spin freely, and they did

002.JPG

Hole cut in bottom
003.JPG

Top plate for hopper attatched and tightned and rollers still spin freely, so all good so far

004.JPG

Bits for hopper cut out
007.JPG

Supports attatched to sides
008.JPG

Hopper put together and top plate and mill attatched

009.JPG

Base attatched

010.JPG

Done

015.JPG

I also added a slide shutoff and the bottom of the hopper so I can fill the hopper, get the mill going then open the slide. Hopefully this will make the job easier and get the free spinning roller going
012.JPG

Slide open
013.JPG

And closed
014.JPG

Be careful that the mill doesnt move in the plywood. My first attempt using mdf saw the rollers end up scouring away the side of the rollers on the edge of the mill. I ended up going to the local alloy welders and came up with the following bling. Although not powered it does 5 kgs of grain in about three minutes.

Picture.jpg

Be careful that the mill doesnt move in the plywood. My first attempt using mdf saw the rollers end up scouring away the side of the rollers on the edge of the mill. I ended up going to the local alloy welders and came up with the following bling. Although not powered it does 5 kgs of grain in about three minutes.

thats a tank of a hopper! nice

Mantis nice work!

Gilbrew - thats a beefy looking hopper - how much did that set you back?

Its 12mm ply so I dont think the mill will budge. Been using a marga mill mounted like this and only secured with crappy little screws to thin mdf and it hasnt moved in 40 odd brews.

Cant wait to try it out tommorow along with the new mash tun

Well , once I got the gap set right and the new drill worked out this puppy chewed through the grain at one rapid rate.
I did 5kg in the first lot and I am guessing less than a minute to chew it through
Now to see what eff I get, but I am using a mash tun for the first time as well so meh

Its insane how quick these things are!

Yes, after using a marga and sitting holding the drill for 15mins to do what this thing did in 2, it is insane
Great looking crush too

I only got 67% eff today but I think I stuffed up the sparging

Not great eff., but not bad concidering you've just made two MASSIVE changes to your brewery - infact I dont think there would be two other items in your brewery that you could change that would have as big of an impact as those two items so im not supprised to see a bit drop in efficiency on your first run.

now mantis you just have to redraw the plans and post them so every one who just bought monstermills can copy it!

nice work fella.

re efficency, yeah dont worry bout it.

Thanks.
If you want plans/dimensions I will have to measure it up as I just made as I went with the idea in mind of course of how I wanted it.
The hopper is probably too big as I am guessing it will hold 15kg, so it could be pruned down a bit

15kg is a great size as it accomadates double batches of about 6%. well all my double batch recipes of about 6% use about 13kg of grain

Any progress on posting the designs for the hopper/base, Mantis?

Am about to order an MM2, and am curious as to whether the design is within my tool-tard abilities, or whether I will need to rope in the (much more handy) father-in-law.

Any progress on posting the designs for the hopper/base, Mantis?

Am about to order an MM2, and am curious as to whether the design is within my tool-tard abilities, or whether I will need to rope in the (much more handy) father-in-law.

Order one of the kits Warm for the hopper and base its reasonably priced, i just got one in the last buy.

You can even have my old hopper and base if you just need it to get started.

Kleiny

I can go measure it up if you still want it, but the water bottle hopper above looks easier

Edit: to add that these mills are friggin awesome. 9kg of grain in 1min , and got 79% eff with the last brew

out of curiosity, are the rollers on the grain mill just knurled rollers and a bit of plate at each end to retain them?

I can go measure it up if you still want it, but the water bottle hopper above looks easier

I agree, gonna keep an eye out for some empty water bottles.

Kleiny, thanks for the offer, but don't think I'm going to get up your way for a while.

Cheers

Is anyone able to take some accurate measurments of the MM2? Mainly bolt spaces and sizes for hopper and base and end plate dimensions. Working for a steel fabricator, I would like to get a hopper and base drawn up so I can have it made up before I order a mill(when funding permits).
Im in Knox and work in Dandy South if anyone in the area is looking at purchasing a mill soon, let me know.
edit:Just looked up the density of brewers grain to be 432kg/cubic metre, how many kg of grain to people recommend a hopper be built to hold?

Back