Monster Mill Shaft

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew.w

Reaction score
i was milling grain last week with my monster mill and about half way through the mill stopped working.
the shaft was still spinning (drill powered) but no grain was getting crushed.
i put the drill in reverse and then foreward again and it still didnt work.
i emptied the hopper and connected the drill again to see what happened and the rollers were spinning and i put the grain back in and it worked for the rest of the crush.
this has happened twice last week so far and im wondering why.
ive had the mill for about a year now and havnt had a problem yet
anyone else had this?
is the shaft and roller all one piece?

Cheers,

Stewart

Not sure how that could happen unless:
- The drill was slipping on the shaft (but then the actual roller wouldn't have been turning), or
- The gap was too wide (but then the grain would have just fallen through).

I would have assumed the shaft and roller were one piece, but I'm not at home to have a look at mine.

I am pretty sure the roller and shaft is milled from one piece of steel.

I will have to have a close look next time I am out in the shed with my MM2.

My cordless drill does come loose every now and then when crushing grain. Just tighten the chuck up again and its raring to go.

maybe one/both of the wingnuts came loose making the gap really big? This happened to me the other day and 3/4 of the grain was not being crushed

maybe the opposite the gap was to small and you where getting no grain feed?

I was having drama with my mm3 last crush. I put it down to grain jammed between the end of the Non drive roller and the housing. Cleaned it out and no more trouble. however, that occuered trying to start the crush. Also the roller and driveshaft is most def one piece

thanks for the replies, i think it might be because the rollers were slightly out of line (gap was larger on one side).
hopefully this has sorted it. it wasnt the drill chuck coming loose because the shaft was still turning.
i'll see how i go anyway.

Cheers,

Stewart

i was milling grain last week with my monster mill and about half way through the mill stopped working.
the shaft was still spinning (drill powered) but no grain was getting crushed.
i put the drill in reverse and then foreward again and it still didnt work.
i emptied the hopper and connected the drill again to see what happened and the rollers were spinning and i put the grain back in and it worked for the rest of the crush.
this has happened twice last week so far and im wondering why.
ive had the mill for about a year now and havnt had a problem yet
anyone else had this?
is the shaft and roller all one piece?

Cheers,

Stewart

The MM second roller is not driven, if you get a too fine gap (under 0.9mm) the grain will not feed even thou the rollers are still turning. This will only happen if you have too fine of a crush setting for the grain you are crushing.

If you should want such a fine crush, then try milling your grain twice.

QldKev

....... grain jammed between the end of the Non drive roller and the housing. Cleaned it out and no more trouble........

This happens to my MM2 as well. I went a couple of years with no problems but it seems to be happening more often now.
I suspect the mounts may have shifted a little and increased the gap between the roller end and the housing.
I may need to reset the thing.

The MM second roller is not driven, if you get a too fine gap (under 0.9mm) the grain will not feed even thou the rollers are still turning. This will only happen if you have too fine of a crush setting for the grain you are crushing.
If you should want such a fine crush, then try milling your grain twice.
QldKev

If the gap is too tight, the driven roller will just spin and not actually pull any grain into the gap. This has happened to me before when tinkering with my gap setting. I also had an issue with some grain getting stuck between the roller and the mounting plates/chassis whcih stopped the non driven roller from spinning at times.

To fix, I squared up my rollers by placing a business card or two at one end between the rollers and the mount on the non shaft end. I then simply re-aligned and tightened all of the bolts on the base plate as tight as required and then simply removed the cards. This ensured the mill rollers are mounted square and there is a very small gap to allow for the 'free play' the rollers require but not large enough for whole kernels to sneak in.. Previously mine was slightly too large and at times caused what is happening to you.

Latest posts

Back