mold growth in fv lid thread.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranks76

Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker here with a question.

I spilt a bit of my wort when tipping into my fermenter. Thought I cleaned it up well but I obviously missed the thread part of fermenter.

Now I have some mold/growth growing inside the thread part of the lid. I'm positive the brew is OK and growth is not inside.

I wanted to add some hops tonight before bottling on Sunday and I'm now thinking maybe it's not worth the risk.

What do you all think? Is it safe to take the lid off or not?

Take the lid of and replace it with glad wrap for the remainder of the brew. Get some ethanol or rubbing alcohol and with a cloth scrub the mold off until its gone and maybe give the whole lid a rub with the alcohol. Then I would either pour some boiling hot water over the lid or soak it in a bucket or container with sodium percarbonate. That will get rid of any crud that you missed. Once its soaked give it another rinse with boiling hot water and then let it dry. After this put it in a bucket of star san for about 5 minutes. Another option in there is a bleach/vinegar/ water mixed at the correct rate can be pretty powerful if done right. If you can find the wiki article on sanitation that might give you a bit more of an explanation.

That approach may be a little anal but it will prevent growth on your lid which you will need either for ferment or cleaning the fermentation vessel.

ranks76 said:
Hello all, long time lurker here with a question.

I spilt a bit of my wort when tipping into my fermenter. Thought I cleaned it up well but I obviously missed the thread part of fermenter.

Now I have some mold/growth growing inside the thread part of the lid. I'm positive the brew is OK and growth is not inside.

I wanted to add some hops tonight before bottling on Sunday and I'm now thinking maybe it's not worth the risk.

What do you all think? Is it safe to take the lid off or not?
Rack to a second fermenter for dry hop, no need to open the lid till the beer is out then.

Or do what Midnight Brew said, either way you'll be doing a bit of cleaning.

Cheers guys.

I think I'll rack it to secondary for safety.

It still has a day or 2 left of fermentation, is it advisable to wait until a stable reading or could I just rack it tonight?

I have had the same problem. As the mould was on the thread and the lid was sealed there was no issue because this is outside the sealed part. As the previous post have said, if you need to open to dry hop you could potentially contaminate. If you don't have a tap to rack to another vessel and you need to open the lid you will again expose it to the contamination.

I don't dry hop much so cant give advice. If there beer will still be a good beer without the dry hops I wouldn't bother

Latest posts

Back