Mixing Lager And Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
What would happen if you had a slow lager yeast and assumed that it was stuck and then pitched a us56 dry on top???Then tasted it and it didnt tast like us56? i am not asking for any reason its not like that what ive done. yea right!!!
What does San fran 2112 taste like early on??? All questions for the universe.

Cheers, JJ

jimmyjack said:
What would happen if you had a slow lager yeast and assumed that it was stuck and then pitched a us56 dry on top???Then tasted it and it didnt tast like us56? i am not asking for any reason its not like that what ive done. yea right!!!
What does San fran 2112 taste like early on??? All questions for the universe.

Cheers, JJ
[post="115989"][/post]​

Slow lager yeast?

Sounds like a contradiction there.

We use lager yeast at 10C because it has such a high metabolism that it can function well at such a low temperature, whereas ale yeast would fall asleep.

So if you had a lager yeast at 10C and pitched an ale yeast, I would predict very little change. If you had a lager yeast at 20C and pitched an ale yeast, I would predict very little change.

Also, lager yeast are able to ferment a few extra sugars, compared to ale yeast, so no matter what the temp, if the lager yeast is done (and is healthy), ale yeast should not be able to do any more.

San Fran 2112 yeast tastes estery if fermented in the recommended range 'cos technically its a lager yeast and the recommended range is higher than typical lager ferment temps.

Berp.

Back