Missed og. Mini mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJez

Reaction score
I missed og by 5 points due to the use of 500gms flaked oats, I take it they didn't mash(?) because if I remove the ingredient from Beersmith I'm bang on sg.

Does this mean my final product will have the intended taste profile just lighter in abv, or should I, and is it possible to do a 1l or so mini mash with 500gms malted wheat to make it up? The wort tastes good to me

That could be coincidence, converting the starch from the flaked oats depends on the diastatic power of the base malt, its the enzymes from the base malt which does the converting. What was your grain bill?

Last edited:
If I'm a few points short and want to make it up I just use a little dextrose personally. I'm not bound by purity laws.

I have used flaked oats in my last couple AG beers and have had really good numbers and good flavours when they are in the mix. I'm a fan

I think Reg might be right, if you haven't included Malt in your mini mash it wont have converted the starch. good rule of thumb is that you need about 60% base malt (ale/pilsner) as a minimum.
The fact that you are missing the gravity you would have expected from the Oats is a pretty fair indication that it wasn't converted and thereby made soluble, as "gravity" is measuring what's in solution.

With unmalted Oats, given that they are rolled/flaked, you will have a lot of Glucan and Starch available.
To get the most out of say 500g of oats, mix it with say 750-1000g of milled ale/pilsner malt with around 4Lof tap water at tap temperature in a pot (with a bit of room).
Put on the stove top, set to low (lowest).
Allow to warm slowly from ambient to say 80oC, stir occasionally (the ideal rate of rise would be 0.5oC/minute). This will take you through all the enzyme activity temperatures, most importantly in this case, through the Glucanase, Protease, and both Amylase temperatures, in the process converting most of the oats into a soluble form.
Pour through a strainer lined with some fabric (tea-towel chux…) boil the extract for at least 10 minutes, you could do a mini sparge which might get you a bit more extract, but personally I couldn't be arsed.

The boiled wort can be your makeup water for the rest of your ingredients (kit, LME...)
Mark

Thanks guys, the recipe had 45 pervent malted wheat, same in pils, 5 percent cara and munich and the oats

Back