Minor Miscalculation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinw

Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

On Friday I brewed an American amber with a recipe I just whipped up on the spot using the HBD recipator. Some of my best beers have come out of spur of the moment brewing sessions like this.

Today I took a sample to see how its going. Down to 1.012 already, fantastic aroma of Centennial & Amarillo, but it sure is bitter!! (But in a nice way, like an over the top APA)

I then went back and re-checked my recipe - to find that I had entered the AA% of my 9% Centennial, used mainly for bittering, as 3%! The beer I thought is 35 IBUs is actually more like 65!

It should be an interesting beer - definitely one to sort the men from the megalager drinkers. The first sip of the sample was a case of "whoa, that's bitter". 2nd sip tasted better. Then I went back and got some more.

Any suggestions for a name for this batch?

cheers,
Colin

Sorry i'm a bit hung over not really in a creative mood at the moment. lemme have a crack anyway.

Imperial Mishap Ale.
Man or a Mouse Ale.
Offensive Pale Ale.

I Stuffed it up Pale Ale (IPA :D )

I did my first Toucan Brew thinking Coopers real Ale was not so bitter, like the lager etc. after I brewed it, it was pretty bitter.

I thought to call it "dopple bitter". If you know some one you think is bitter, name it after them, give them a bottle and see if the get it.

heh, I've done something similar before where I overestimated my efficiency by a whole lot, leading to a much thinner beer than I has planned for, which lead to much better hop utilisation than I was hoping for. 1.040 APA with IBUs in the 60s :/ not at all what I had planned

thats wjy i check my graity just before i pre boil to what promash has worked out so i know if i need to adjust my hop scedule

thats wjy i check my graity just before i pre boil to what promash has worked out so i know if i need to adjust my hop scedule
:) the following batch I tried that with my hydrometer, the one after that I bought a refrectometer. great investment :p

Mishop APA.

or

Bitter Bitch

or if it gets infected

Sour Bitter Bitch.

thats asd good as it gets here on a sunday night.

cheers

i like HTFU Ale :)
65 IBU no problem, you'll get used to it. You're mates who're used to drinking mega might not, but hey.what the hell.
If it's no good, you'll never do it again, otherwise it may have just opened another avenue for your brewing! :lol:

"Rusty Nail Ale"

The bitterness will die with time, thank goodness...

cheers!

I'm thinking I will grow to like this beer. It didn't seem nearly as bitter when I tried it tonight, and the hops flavour is coming through an absolute treat.

My regular consumers are all hopheads, so I doubt anyone will complain much. To make sure I'm going to brew an 80/- or some other malt accented beer to put on another tap. If anyone objects, just mix a half & half.

I can guarantee it will be consumed. Even my mistakes seem to come out good in the end.

Colin, bring it along to one of the meetings and it will be given a good home :chug:

I'm starting to look forward to this batch ... I bet it will leave that mellow feeling that only a super hoppy beer can give. (I'm sure Ross knows what I'm talking about). What is it in hops that does that?

I'm starting to look forward to this batch ... I bet it will leave that mellow feeling that only a super hoppy beer can give. (I'm sure Ross knows what I'm talking about). What is it in hops that does that?

Make sure you bring some along on friday Colin, looks like we're going to have a good variety to test :chug:

Name... Bitter Pill Amber

cheers Ross

65 IBU...you would be lucky if Ross even lets it past the front gate.... :party:

Nah... Ross has an alergic reaction to beers that dont have a lot of hop " anything " :lol:

Latest posts

Back