Minimum Timeframe For Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
Was just about to bottle 2 fermenters of extra strong vintage ale dry hopped with 50 grams of nelson sauvin. I had a taste and it was good but I wanted more aroma so I threw another 25 grams of NS in each fermenter.

This beer is ready to bottle so what's the minimum time needed to get more aroma into the beer? I don't really want to wait weeks so looking for a small timeframe. I took a sample and kept it so I can compare the difference with the extra addition of hops.

Thanks

Was just about to bottle 2 fermenters of extra strong vintage ale dry hopped with 50 grams of nelson sauvin. I had a taste and it was good but I wanted more aroma so I threw another 25 grams of NS in each fermenter.

This beer is ready to bottle so what's the minimum time needed to get more aroma into the beer? I don't really want to wait weeks so looking for a small timeframe. I took a sample and kept it so I can compare the difference with the extra addition of hops.

Thanks

You will probably get a whole lot of different answers for this one but I dry hop most of the time in secondary. I hop for a maximum of 7 days as any more length of time can produce some grassiness ( based on my own observations. ) So seeing you are in a hurry & wanting a tad more aroma, I would go for 5 days & bottle away.
On a side note, the taste test from the fermenter will be quite different after the beer has been bottled for the required conditioning / mellowing time. I find 8 weeks in the bottle is great, any less a bit too young for me.50g+25g is a pretty big aroma addition, ( based on 23lt batch ) be careful not to over do it.

You will probably get a whole lot of different answers for this one but I dry hop most of the time in secondary. I hop for a maximum of 7 days as any more length of time can produce some grassiness ( based on my own observations. ) So seeing you are in a hurry & wanting a tad more aroma, I would go for 5 days & bottle away.
On a side note, the taste test from the fermenter will be quite different after the beer has been bottled for the required conditioning / mellowing time. I find 8 weeks in the bottle is great, any less a bit too young for me.50g+25g is a pretty big aroma addition, ( based on 23lt batch ) be careful not to over do it.

Thanks Crusty, I was thinking 3-5 days. It is a large amount to dry hop I guess. In my very limited experience the hop aroma seems to fade with time. The ESVA I've brewed previously is coming along nicely with time though the aroma has faded quite a bit hence why I'm really dropping a large amount this time.

Back