Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one 5L from the MKIV BB. It blew a week or 1 ago but let sit in the fridge gassed until today. Cleaned it out and ran my finger inside - black residue. No metallic taste though. Currently soaking in NaPerc and will leave overnight to hopefully resolve the issue. If not I'll be looking to be added to the PM.

Am I correctly noting that the 5 litre kegs are the main problem with some 2l and no 4l? Or is proportional to sale numbers?

grott said:
Am I correctly noting that the 5 litre kegs are the main problem with some 2l and no 4l? Or is proportional to sale numbers?
My 4L is rubbish - really poor quality weld around the top. No problem noticed with black film or metallic taste but still rubbish.

EalingDrop said:
Same issue here with my 2L mini keg. Black film. Zorco, can you add me as well. Thanks mate
Hey Zorco, can you please add me too, black film and some small rust spots. The welds look ok, but being my first mini experience I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like. Cheers

People reporting the black grease film on the inside. Did your kegs have this prior to use and where they cleaned? Has the problem since returned?

[SIZE=medium]My BBIV 5L had heaps of black grease inside (and a couple of smallish rust spots that I’m not too worried about). I used napisan and boiling water about 3 times and Startsan a few times. I used soap and water soak, nothing made a difference, didn’t really change the colour of the liquid either, so that tells me it wasn’t doing much at all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]i then used a some rice cold, water and soap several time and then napisan several times, then shook the hell out of it. This made a difference, but didn’t get it all. Came out dark everytime[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Finally I used a cloth on a stick and scrubbed for ages, then did the soap and napisan rice mix again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now I have no sign of it. I did this about 10 days ago as I’m in BBIV. I ran my finger on the inside yesterday and didn’t notice any issues.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It’s a bit frustrating. I’m hesitant to use it in case I’m missing some though, but I don’t think I can return it now as I’ve probably removed all evidence of the problem.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I think I’m going to have to fill it and see if it gets tainted and hope it’s not dangerous.[/SIZE]

A3k said:
[SIZE=medium]My BBIV 5L had heaps of black grease inside (and a couple of smallish rust spots that I’m not too worried about). I used napisan and boiling water about 3 times and Startsan a few times. I used soap and water soak, nothing made a difference, didn’t really change the colour of the liquid either, so that tells me it wasn’t doing much at all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]i then used a some rice cold, water and soap several time and then napisan several times, then shook the hell out of it. This made a difference, but didn’t get it all. Came out dark everytime[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Finally I used a cloth on a stick and scrubbed for ages, then did the soap and napisan rice mix again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now I have no sign of it. I did this about 10 days ago as I’m in BBIV. I ran my finger on the inside yesterday and didn’t notice any issues.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It’s a bit frustrating. I’m hesitant to use it in case I’m missing some though, but I don’t think I can return it now as I’ve probably removed all evidence of the problem.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I think I’m going to have to fill it and see if it gets tainted and hope it’s not dangerous.[/SIZE]
That's not good at all, i was just talking to Mark, seems some must have snuck through QC, the 10 i bought in BBIV have no sign of black grease or even light film inside the top. I just cleaned/rinsed a keg i blew last night, was a BB2 joby, (they had metallic aroma), this keg has been used twice, now has no aroma, so just cleaning and sanitiser till needed and see how it goes. Have been using EDTA to get rid of aroma/taste in full kegs, works but shouldn't need to be using anything at all.

The black greasy residue is probably black oxide, which is applied to stainless steel to prevent corrosion (among other things) but you don't want it in the keg. This is probably coated on the metal in its sheet form to protect it during manufacturing.

I'm worried that kegs that have it have not been correctly cleaned and passivated, so even if we do clean it out, there is a chance they will start to corrode or have some other negative impact on the contents.

Given the outside of the kegs appear to be fine, it seems as if the manufacturing process skipped any cleaning/treatment of the inside.

Finally got my 2lt today!

My SS Brewtech Brewbucket instructions say:

"Pre-Clean: Prior to first time use, thoroughly wash all surfaces of the Brew Bucket, including all valves and fittings, with Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) in hot water, mixed to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Scrub with a soft terry cloth, and after the initial TSP wash, rinse thoroughly and dry all surfaces".

That would be the very least you should do for these kegs before use so thats what Im doing tonight. Then ill give it a clean with perc and then another clean with perc and then air dry to passivate. Then Ill give it a wipe with a cloth ;)

nosco said:

"Pre-Clean: Prior to first time use, thoroughly wash all surfaces of the Brew Bucket, including all valves and fittings, with Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) in hot water, mixed to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Scrub with a soft terry cloth, and after the initial TSP wash, rinse thoroughly and dry all surfaces".

That would be the very least you should do for these kegs before use so thats what Im doing tonight. Then ill give it a clean with perc and then another clean with perc and then air dry to passivate. Then Ill give it a wipe with a cloth ;)
Not taking umbrage with you Nosco, but to say the least you should do in my mind is being a tad harsh, in hind sight is ok, but the manufacturer of these kegs says they have been passivated and a wash with mild soap is all that is needed, so that's what most are doing if not more.

nosco said:

Yeah but it is alot harder to scrub the inside of the mini keg than a brewbucket.

So I guess people are worried about drinking the coat of metal protectant? :unsure:

IMO Its mandatory to do as thorough cleaning as possible to a container at purchase prior to food containing.
Glass, Plastic, and especially Stainless Steal.
Consider the manufacture of steal products to last the time before being sold it will have anti corrosion coating.
Unless Polished like the outside but no keg in the world that I know of is polished on the inside??????
Even if it was it can stain and still needs thorough cleaning.

I'll never think any other way than the every inch of the inside needs to be cleaner soaked for some time then the entire surface wiped/scrubed to get off the film of whatever including beer stone. (beer stain)

Think detailed tools like a right angle/bent cleaning brush to get up to this inside top etc. Elbow grease, one wipe is whimpy etc.
I'm thinking that peoples may run their finger under the rim inside and get a dark residue? Its simple that the common area you haven't cleaned properly.

Consider Stainless Steal is a bit of a false name really.
It is the longest most durable but its only as clean as that it was cleaned etc.

Danscraftbeer said:
IMO Its mandatory to do as thorough cleaning as possible to a container at purchase prior to food containing.
Glass, Plastic, and especially Stainless Steal.
What he said. Before I put in the TSP I gave it the finger test and got a bit of black on my finger and interestingly it wasnt dry as there was a bit of condensation on the inside of the keg.

I'll add to that these mini kegs are of the best stainless steal products I have purchased.
I have no affiliation to anyone involved. Yet! B)

Danscraftbeer said:
I'll add to that these mini kegs are of the best stainless steal products I have purchased.
I have no affiliation to anyone involved. Yet! B)
(IMO Its mandatory to do as thorough cleaning as possible to a container at purchase prior to food containing.)
I take it you mean after purchase prior to food containment, i agree, but hard to do in a small opening vessel, great idea, sure, until you have x amount of kegs leaving an unwanted flavour in your pride and joy. Hopefully everyone putting our heads together can come up with a solution, by the look of it there are a lot of people working on solutions. ATHB, Zorco, IKegger and anyone else, thanks for your efforts.

Back