Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found if you set reg before attaching to keg at say 10psi, when you attached it the pressure would drop to an amount the keg would absorb and stay there. Meaning if pressure in the was say 5psi the gauge would drop to that reading and if left on the keg would very slowly rise to the 10psi again.
The other day I was pouring beers at 8psi. As I did this the gauge would drop as I poured. It would slowly return to 8 psi again but I found it easier and better to pour the beer, disconnect the reg which then would shoot straight back to 8psi ready for the next pour. This was no big deal it's just these mini regs are sensitive.
Hope this helps

Nullnvoid said:
Scratch that it does work not plugged in. Just immediately stops working once plugged into the keg.
Yes as above I'd say. Straight away off the keg, fair while still attached. Remember it's only going to replace what is released from the keg. If you leave it on the keg and it's at zero, if you pour another beer it should rise on the gauge as the co2 pressure is used up but it's a slow pour therefore why easier and best to disconnect between pours.

Just tried that. Turns out I'm impatient. But leaving it on it does exactly as you said! Thanks Grott :)

That's different from when I first used it. But anyway as long as it works. Going away middle of the week and need to have it all working :)

So... found an esky on hard rubbish recently (slight bit of mould and had a cracked lid. All easily fixed) that fits 2x5L mini kegs, ice packs, disconnects, regulators.
I just use hose and plastic taps for serving. Worked well today at my daughter's 3rd birthday for the Dads!

Edit: beers were Belgian pale ale and American Amber ale.
Kegs MKIII purchase, Belgian had slight metallic taste (as described by someone else, I didn't pre warned anyone).
Amber didn't but it was quite Hoppy

1493453689260.jpg

1493453700337.jpg

Went out this morn'n to grab a keg to chill, Furphy clone only 9 days in, not carb'd, a little immature for me, she'll be right, a few more days to mature while carbing. It was sitting on the bottom shelf, so hadn't noticed anything. I have the kegs sitting on cloth, as not to get scratched on the perforated plate shelving. The cloth looked a bit strange, after clearing my eyes, the cloth and the keg had mould growing on them. No moisture above, a little below. No blown stubbies, must be the keg. Removed and cleaned, hit with 10psi, nothing from the spear, got me buggered, i'll compare weight with another one. Moisture on the scale, on further inspection small leak from the seam where the bottom rolled piece joins the barrel. Will contact ATHB tomorrow.
Will chill and transfer to stubbies if it tastes ok. This keg is from BBIV

Keg leak1.JPG

Keg leak3.JPG

grott said:
That sucks. Obviously no quality control in China, what a stupid thing to say - of course there isn't.
I'll see what Mark says, could squeeze some glue in their, but the thought of infection, pops up. Hope no one else has this problem.

The seam is only visible in part of keg, the photo of the bottom shows the opposite side. The top weld is even more visible, they must weld then machine back, this one must have been first up Monday morning joby.

Keg leak top.JPG

Keg leak opp.JPG

briby said:
The seam is only visible in part of keg, the photo of the bottom shows the opposite side. The top weld is even more visible, they must weld then machine back, this one must have been first up Monday morning joby.
Thank god the other 17 aren't as bad, Grott how are yours going as far as the metallic taste.

I can't remember if this was mentioned in the previous pages. Does anyone know how to transfer from keg to keg?

I've got some beers I'd like to transfer from the 5L to the 2L. Is this what they call a 'daisy chain'

From what I've seen, it appears the liquid is received through the gas disconnect which doesn't make any sense to me unless that gas disconnect is sacificed as a dedicated liquid. Any ideas?

EalingDrop said:
I can't remember if this was mentioned in the previous pages. Does anyone know how to transfer from keg to keg?

I've got some beers I'd like to transfer from the 5L to the 2L. Is this what they call a 'daisy chain'

From what I've seen, it appears the liquid is received through the gas disconnect which doesn't make any sense to me unless that gas disconnect is sacificed as a dedicated liquid. Any ideas?
make up a hose with liquid disconnect on each end,
gas both kegs to same pressure
connect liquid to liquid line
release some pressure from destination keg
release further pressure as needed using condensation line as a guide ;)

at least, thats my method

Thanks for the tip SBOB.

Presumably, let the receiving vessel settle a bit as the turbulence would have knocked CO2 out of solution during transfer?

briby said:
Thank god the other 17 aren't as bad, Grott how are yours going as far as the metallic taste.
No metallic taste as yet but so far I've only filled the kegs am for use pm therefore the brew has not been sitting long. But this will change next week when fermented brew will sit for 2 to 3 days in the kegs. Will let you know.

I purchased 3x 5L kegs in the second group buy. I've been using two on rotation and filling them from my cornys as I need which has been brilliant.

January I brewed a smaller batch of stout which I carbed straight in the mini kegs. I tapped one tonight and it is foul. Poured out the keg and ran a rag around inside the top of the keg and I've got this black buildup others are describing. Second keg is the same. Third keg is unused but will check that out this weekend.

Kegs are perfect short term, not so much longer term. What's been arranged so far for the faulty kegs?

Latest posts

Back