Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, am I supposed to be following the MKIV thread?
i.e is there an official thread for this issue?

Alrighty,

I've just knocked up a spreadsheet to track this issue, A good idea from earlier.

A five second memory dump has about 5 people which I've invited. If you have an issue with your keg regarding metal taste, darkening of your beer etc. let me know and I'll add you to the PM.

Try and fill in all the fields as it may help with tracking a bad batch.

I feel it's worth raising separate threads to track the specific questions being asked and answered, seeing as we have more than one. Separate audiences have their own concerns so it's worth addressing separately.
1. are the already-purchased kegs safe to use, and
2. will this affect bulk buy MKIV.

I still think a tracking spreadsheet might be worthwhile, if we can settle on a reliable testing method for people to undertake and post their findings

ed: just realised there are two separate threads already.. that aspergers that nets me so much cash from IT also makes me over-think things before checking my facts. Another beer perhaps!

.. too many beers while writing that post, just saw Costco's was added after I started writing it.. Please add me to the PM

Done, If you think of any other details to help with this, you have full edit permissions on the sheet.

mtb said:
.. too many beers while writing that post, just saw Costco's was added after I started writing it.. Please add me to the PM
You keep me on my toes mate..

As far as the magnetic properties are concerned, I did a magnet test on mine and as expected, it's mostly non-magnetic. The only parts that appear to be magnetic are those that were clearly cold worked, like the rolled edge of the handle, the domed bottom section, and the edges of the lid.

Got my kegs from beerkat. Only used one so far, but it has developed a metallic taste after beer being in it for two weeks (at 3.7deg). It's a dark beer so can't comment on colour.
It's also a commercial beer that I paid a silly amount for to fill the 5L so it's pretty disappointing.

Did nothing other than a hot sodium perc wash (can't remember dosage but it was one I found as recommended for stainless) followed by multiple water rinses prior to use. No starsan.

Zorco said:
Beerkat kegs are in the spreadsheet. I'll invite you in
pls add me to the list. See post 513. I have at least one dud

Me too. Hooray. Damn, I should have bought that new mill with the tax return. I know I have one that goes metallic. Now to figure out whether it's one or both. I also need to get the regulators sorted.

Is visual inspection going to be best? Rice test? I certainly don't feel like potentially wasting 10L of beer to find out. I guess I could waste 10L of VB without too much damage to my conscience. I'd have to taste it though. How would I tell if it was off?

GoodDuck said:
Sigh - we need a clear way forward with this issue.
If feels like we are going around in circles with, many opinions.
I tend to agree with Bones, there is obviously something wrong with a significant percentage of these units (too many to ignore), and the onus is NOT on us to democratically arrive at some conclusion.
These units (with heads) cost more than a new full size Corny keg, and are too costly to sit on a shelf looking pretty.
Though only an observer and while it was interesting looking into the cause, under consumer laws a purchase has to be of merchantable quality, and a right to return if not, Good Duck and Bones raise the point that it is not up to the buyer to fix the problem but up to the retailer to fix the problem.
It is not negotiable.

Don't get me wrong here either guys, I was not taking aim at Mark in any way as I've had dealings with him privately in the past and he's been awesome, I was just pointing out the fact that there is clearly something wrong with these that needs to be rectified

Latest posts

Back