Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK my kegs have almost boiling water and sodium percarbonate in them ATM, I'll give them a few hours then do the "peteru Rice Rinse Test".

No phos. acid in this test.

I have inverted the kegs so the neck is getting the treatment as I have never filled them with beer passed the straight walled sides. I also know the two 5lt kegs from the first and second bulk buy and will post finding as such.

Batz

grott said:
This is not good and suggest many a pissed off recipient. Am I right in thinking with this particular bulk buy not everyone has this problem?
Concern now has to be the current bulk purchases that should be about here.
Gives good reason to get off my arse and put some beer in mine as well. A cheap SMaSH so I don't waste too much in the way of dollars.

Batz said:
OK my kegs have almost boiling water and sodium percarbonate in them ATM, I'll give them a few hours then do the "peteru Rice Rinse Test".

No phos. acid in this test.
Can someone do a test of phos. acid and Rice Rinse? Does that go black on its own?

Yeah I can do one tonight. Gotta test my kegs anyway.

malt & barley blues said:
But the same problem has occurred in the Berkat buy so it isn't limited to the bulk buy.
That was on pparts that may well be chrome plated, try soaking your perlic PC taps in sodium perc or star san and there'll be little chrome left. These kegs are suposed to be stainless food grade like my 14 bigger kegs, 2 of which I left with perc in them 2 months ago. These two I'll empty rinse and star san tomorrow, I have no doubt they will be in pristine condition when I open them. My two mini kegs are nearly full, RIS, and a Dubble. Guess I just have to drink em myself Yobs a bit busy. Then test.

Emptied my 4L (from the ATHB bulk buy), was half full of beer previously. Black residue on my finger from wiping the weld from the inside. Peteru treatment underway

malt junkie said:
That was on pparts that may well be chrome plated, try soaking your perlic PC taps in sodium perc or star san and there'll be little chrome left. These kegs are suposed to be stainless food grade like my 14 bigger kegs, 2 of which I left with perc in them 2 months ago. These two I'll empty rinse and star san tomorrow, I have no doubt they will be in pristine condition when I open them. My two mini kegs are nearly full, RIS, and a Dubble. Guess I just have to drink em myself Yobs a bit busy. Then test.
Being as Stainless 304 is 18% chromium (more suitable for any acidic liquid contact) if the chrome is discolouring what strength was the Starsan used, sodium carbonate is alkaline so should not present a problem.
Stainless 316 has more moly and less chromium more suited for salt air, beer kegs are manufactured from 304 for its resilience to acids.

No reason why we couldn't get this made up here.
http://www.brewcitysolutions.com/product/passivate-plus/

So it turns out that for some reason, there's no rice in the house. I'll have to get that part done tomorrow.

The black residue on my finger after wiping an in-use keg is unnerving though.

My suggestion to anyone would has a mini keg is to do the rice test now. Don't worry about the cleaner just rice 300ml water and shake for 5 minutes.

Keg one is from bulk buy #1

Keg two is from bulk buy #2 (this one had a Howdy Doody weld)

Keg #3 is an I Kegger 2 lt.

All washed with Sodium percarbonate for 2 hours and then 300ml filtered water and 2 TBSP of white rice. Shake 5 minutes.

Happy?? No, sort of wish I did not own 5 of these f&cking things right now.

Batz

mini keg 2.jpg

Mini keg 1.jpg

Mini keg 3.jpg

Maybe we ought to get a Google spreadsheet going, to track the results of the rice tests? Easier than collaborating results via this thread. I'm happy to put one together but assume someone with experience will find it easier

mtb said:
Maybe we ought to get a Google spreadsheet going, to track the results of the rice tests? Easier than collaborating results via this thread. I'm happy to put one together but assume someone with experience will find it easier

Sounds like a good idea.

To be fair there is one more test, I'll do it tomorrow.
One of my 9lt kegs, I've had them 15 years or so. I'll do the rice test on one of these and report findings.

Batz

I heard some awesome guy sold grott a 9lt keg for a steal about a year ago. Grott, maybe you can do some testing with it too?

mtb said:
I heard some awesome guy sold grott a 9lt keg for a steal about a year ago. Grott, maybe you can do some testing with it too?
I heard some awesome guy sold grott a 9lt keg for a steal about a year ago.
Some awesome guys out there hey?

I have several of them, the older US made ones not Chinese. Test tomorrw...or tonight.. but hell what about MKR??

mtb said:
Got you,
"Hey grott - I have a 10L one - would it suffice?"

You owe me a litre? :)
Can't do test at the moment, keg filled with hoppy IPA. It is an American Coca Cola one - no crap in this.

Pickling paste would probably repair sugared welds, and is available from geordi...... in 2.5kg bottles..... for $86 before postage. I dare say the 2.5kg would be more than enough to resurface all the minikegs sold in BB's here on AHB. But pickling paste is very nasty stuff, not something I want around the house. :unsure:

The inside of my kegs looked perfect and smelt fresh and sanitised... been three months like that.

Let's stay open minded to all the possible chemistry

malt junkie said:
Pickling paste would probably repair sugared welds, and is available from geordi...... in 2.5kg bottles..... for $86 before postage. I dare say the 2.5kg would be more than enough to resurface all the minikegs sold in BB's here on AHB. But pickling paste is very nasty stuff, not something I want around the house. :unsure:
Oxalic Acid from Bunnings cheaper and easy to use.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-2kg-rust-stain-cleaner_p0960276
That's what I use on my kegs when I spot some oxidisation works a treat let them dry and away you go

Back