Mini-keg Bung Removal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furby83

Reaction score
hey all,

how do you get the supplied bung out of the mini-keg?

i filled and sealed on Saturday and on Monday my two piece bungs arrived.

how do i remove them so i can swap them over?

/bump

anyone?

what sort of mini keg is it?

If it's a Bitburger or similar that has the two piece bung, the insert would already be pushed in and sitting inside the keg somewhere. (these kegs need air to push through the lid so beer gets forced out the bottom tap.)

If it's one of the other types that have the red relief valve that you twist in the top of the keg to release pressure, then the twisty red valve part just comes out with a pair of pliers. That will leave the rubber part, which also comes out with pliers but will take some careful manipulation and re-grabbing with the pliers. You don't want to break pieces of the bung off, or you'll push it inside the keg and never get it out.

Once you've done one, the rest are easy. Just a little difficult to describe from the confines of my computer.

That will leave the rubber part, which also comes out with pliers but will take some careful manipulation and re-grabbing with the pliers. You don't want to break pieces of the bung off, or you'll push it inside the keg and never get it out.

Also take care not to damage the surface of the keg with your pliers. They are coated tin, so will start rusting if you gouge through the coating.

Back