Millmaster Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glaab

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got new MM and noticed when I set crush gap that the rollers are out of round, probably the bearings aren't exactly centred. The crush gap varies from 1mm to 1.4mm if I turn the rollers 180 degrees. Is this normal or did I get a lemon? What sort of run-out do you guys have on your Millmasters? It seems a little sloppy.

Cheers

No offence glaab, but check you haven't got the cams mounted 180 degrees to each other?

No I don't, there are marks there to check that they are positioned evenly. The gap is even across the rollers but gets bigger and smaller as the rollers are turned. Yours doesn't do that? If it was 0.1mm I would think it's just normal but it's 0.4mm.

I would send the supplier an email, if its that far out of wack its not too flash. I think someone else has/had the same problem.
I have always found the find the site sponsers are very helpful if you bought it from one of them.

OT but have the open gears that get grain stuck in and cause the mill to seize been addressed?

No I don't, there are marks there to check that they are positioned evenly. The gap is even across the rollers but gets bigger and smaller as the rollers are turned. Yours doesn't do that? If it was 0.1mm I would think it's just normal but it's 0.4mm.

I never checked! Bugger, now I will have too. Honestly, haven't has a problem since I got it out of the box. Does it make an obvious difference when milling grain glabb?

No offence glaab, but check you haven't got the cams mounted 180 degrees to each other?

That was my initial thought too. Check the body and see if its square - ie measure diagonally accross and see if they are same measurement. If they aren't, back off the bolts that hold it together, square it up then tighten. There should be a bit of play enough to get it reasonably square. Been through this exercise when mine took an unfortunate leap off the back of my ute <_<

OT but have the open gears that get grain stuck in and cause the mill to seize been addressed?

Not as yet AFAIK.

Cheers

Sully

No I don't, there are marks there to check that they are positioned evenly.

I think those marks should be taken with a grain of salt. Mine will roll evenly, but not when the marks are in the same position. FWIW, I have't got mine set up evenly, (pretty close though...) but I do hit my numbers or close to preboil all the time now. Not going to move it.

No they dont supply a gear guard and they arent very helpful with suggestions on how to make one. It turns out you need to make one exactly to the correct profile or they dont work very well, which took me three goes, and if you compare every purchaser spending that much time sorting it out, compared to the retailer spending an hour designing and providing a fix, it seems a bit silly. My rollers at least are true in answer to the original query.

That was my initial thought too. Check the body and see if its square - ie measure diagonally accross and see if they are same measurement. If they aren't, back off the bolts that hold it together, square it up then tighten. There should be a bit of play enough to get it reasonably square. Been through this exercise when mine took an unfortunate leap off the back of my ute <_<

Not as yet AFAIK.

Cheers

Sully

It is square give or take a mm or so but I don't see how that could cause this anyway. If you don't have both cams in the same position I would expect the gap to be uneven across the rollers, wider at one end, but the gap stay the same as you cranked it. Looks to me like the the bearings must be off centre. I don't know if 0.4 mm will affect the crush or not thats the problem. Might have to ring Ross tomorrow.

Guys - I got a gear guard from my mate Pumpy...

Send hime a PM and he might just make you one....

he is a good bloke.

No they dont supply a gear guard and they arent very helpful with suggestions on how to make one. It turns out you need to make one exactly to the correct profile or they dont work very well, which took me three goes, and if you compare every purchaser spending that much time sorting it out, compared to the retailer spending an hour designing and providing a fix, it seems a bit silly. My rollers at least are true in answer to the original query.

:icon_offtopic:

I came up with this setup and fortunate enough to have a contact with a laser cutter and gettng it done in SS. Tested the design with cardboard and it works well. A bit over designed but what the hell. The part on the left is the gear guard and the one on the right is a feeder.

I can supply the CAD file or a PDF if anyone wants it. PM me.

Cheers

Sully

Gear_Guard.jpg

Just saw this on Craftbrewers site:-

precision machined rollers to 0.02mm (0.0008") tolerance geared rollers fine with clockwise or counter clockwise rotation

,...mine are more like 0.4mm tolerance so I spose I've got a dodgy one, did'nt think it looked right.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers

Sully,

why don't you arrange do a bulk buy of them. :)

Glaab,
I would not be too worried if I were you, sure, the website says machined to 8 thou tolerance (which is much less than a bee's dick, right Chappo!) but in all honesty, it is not going to cause you any trouble, there are plenty of guys on this site that have home made mills which have a greater runout that yours, mine being one of them. I noticed the runout, looked at the crush then thought to myself, when the rollers are closer I'm getting some flour, when they are further away I'm not. You can still get a great crush regardless if they are truely centered or not. But it is your hard earned that you parted with and not mine and you need to be happy with what you have bought not me, all I'll say is do a couple of crushes with it and see if you are happy with the results. As far as the gear cover goes, I made Ross up a mill for his shop when the MMs first came out, I had to sort out the pulley/shaft miss match problem and come up with a cover for the gears and mount a big hopper on the thing too, I wish I had took photos of the construction for everyones info. Next time I'm down at the shop, I'll have to take the camera.

cheers

Browndog

Sully,

why don't you arrange do a bulk buy of them. :)

Don't worry, it's in the pipeline but I gotta test the water first. Dont want to piss the laser bloke (mate of a mate) off by dumping a heap on him at once. Also want to make sure the design works and tweak it if necessary.

However I've already had a quote for $120 (GULP) for 2 sets and waiting for a quote from another company anyway. Because its already drawn up in CAD the setup cost should be a minimum so basically the cost of materials and a bit if there is a few units made. I'm working on getting them around $20- $30 mark (or less hopefully) made out of 0.9mm Stainless Steel.

Sorry for the thread hijack Glabb.

Cheers

Don't worry, it's in the pipeline but I gotta test the water first. Dont want to piss the laser bloke (mate of a mate) off by dumping a heap on him at once. Also want to make sure the design works and tweak it if necessary.

However I've already had a quote for $120 (GULP) for 2 sets and waiting for a quote from another company anyway. Because its already drawn up in CAD the setup cost should be a minimum so basically the cost of materials and a bit if there is a few units made. I'm working on getting them around $30- $40 mark (or less hopefully) made out of 0.9mm Stainless Steel.

Sorry for the thread hijack Glabb.

Cheers

Holy shit batman, I reckon I could make my version for $10 each Sully, it is basically a flat plate that is shaped around the rollers with a 90deg bend that takes it onto the end frame and fastened on the existing screw holes, take a look at Ross's mate.

cheers

Browndog

Holy shit batman, I reckon I could make my version for $10 each Sully, it is basically a flat plate that is shaped around the rollers with a 90deg bend that takes it onto the end frame and fastened on the existing screw holes, take a look at Ross's mate.

cheers

Browndog

What did you make it out of? Ive looked at Acrylic (too weak anyway) & Ally and all seem too thick and any thinner sheet material it will possibly bend and distort over time.

Bulk Buy Brownie :p ??

lol some harsh sentiment from GL. The mill works fine, you don't need one, it's just easier to crank with it. I used mine without a gear guard before I could be assed spending 5 minutes cutting one out. Now its a bit easier to crank.

My MM is also out of round/centre

and yes I've learned first hand how little customer skills exist at MashMaster. Not buying another damn thing put out by them. Buggar him!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Latest posts

Back