Milling For Steeping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarsideOfCrazy

Reaction score
I'm been doing a few extract brews with some steeping of grain to get a better result (which is working a treat). But what I haven't been able find is any info on what setting is better to crack the grain on for steeping.

I'm just using a mates mill which is set at 1mm for his AG setup, but I was thinking if cracked the grain at a smaller setting would I be able to extract more sugars out of the grain?

Or is this not really going make any difference at all for what I'm doing?

Farside.

Not going to make a (noticeable) difference. You still have to separate the liquor from the grain so you don't want it too fine.. there's no reason to try and push the boundaries of efficiency when just steeping.

Not going to make a (noticeable) difference. You still have to separate the liquor from the grain so you don't want it too fine.. there's no reason to try and push the boundaries of efficiency when just steeping.
+1

I agree too. What sort of grain are you steeping?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Crystal malt and choclate malt. Tried steeping some pilsner malt the other day for a brew but haven't tried it yet (only been in the bottle for 7 days).

Crystal and chocolate malts are quite kilned and brittle and friable, it doesnt really matter what gap you use, they disintegrate. Gap setting is important for base malt which has been kilned to low levels and is more flexible on the way through the mill.

Umm, I hoped you steeped the pilsner malt somewhere between 60 and 70 degrees, cos it has to be mashed, not steeped.

Back