Millenium And Galaxy Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I have got a sample of Galaxy and MIllenium hops to try in my fridge.

I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to shed some light on what these hops will be like?

A link to some comercial info? personal experience?

Flavours, aromas, harsh or smooth?

cheers

There was a thread recently about new aussie hops but for the life of me I can't find it. I think I remember those two being mentioned, Galaxy at least, and maybe a comment or two on their use?

Probably won't be a great help... better than this post though :p

thanks mate............ i have been doing some googling but just get space stuff and Y2K stuff <_<

They seem to be very "secret agent" kind of stuff.

they are both around the 14 or 15%AA mark.

might just make a souple of single hop pale ales with them and work it out that way.

Im sure someone on here can help me though?

cheers

The basic brewing radio on the tassie hop harvest might be worth a listen .. th guy from Beer and Brewing has a bit of a rave about the aroma of galaxy. Sounds a bit cascade-ish.linky

I have got a sample of Galaxy and MIllenium hops to try in my fridge.

cheers

Hey Tony you got a sample.

What is this !!!

Us poor buggers that have to pay for our hops .

and you get a sample

what is this favouritism .

Tony these hops sound like something from Star Wars with names like Millenium Falcon and Galaxy .

Pumpy :)

Tony these hops sound like something from Star Wars with names like Millenium Falcon and Galaxy .
:lol: Tops!

Anyway, here is the thread I was looking for.. sadly noone seemed to know anything about them, except maybe Thirsty Boy could have some input soon (Already has put a brew down with them - post #9)

Millenium seems to smell & taste like POR out of the fermenter

Galaxy is not Cascade-ish at all, certainly not like US cascade with that in-your-face grapefruity citrus.
2007 First harvest ale from Cascade brewery was aroma-hopped with Galaxy. They overdid it a bit last year, but a year later if you can find it, it's fantastic!

To my mind it's like an English hop with a twist of perfumed passionfruit. Much fuller flavour and longer lasting aroma than Nelson Sauvin.
It was bred by someone my wife and I knew who passed away almost two years ago, and I'm very happy to see that HPA have released it commercially.

Millenium is an American variety sold as a substitute for CTZ. Generic high alpha. I'd love to hear what it tastes like.

MFS.

My packs of Millennium, Galaxy and Summer Saaz just turned up. I plan to use them separately in a basic Pale Ale recipe with them as the sole bitter, flavour and aroma hops as a trial.

had some young millennium ale at my LHBS today. I liked it!

that new crown ambassador reserve has galaxie hops apparently but it comes from cub

My packs of Millennium, Galaxy and Summer Saaz just turned up. I plan to use them separately in a basic Pale Ale recipe with them as the sole bitter, flavour and aroma hops as a trial.

I plan to do exactly the same, just got my Summer Saaz, Millenium and Galaxy yesterday as well as some Super Pride for the first time which I will trial in some Aussie pales ales previously done with POR.

Good to see some development on the Aussie hop front.

BB

2007 First harvest ale from Cascade brewery was aroma-hopped with Galaxy. They overdid it a bit last year, but a year later if you can find it, it's fantastic!
Quite a big fan of this years offering, at least the hop element. Not as much as the missus, who end up buying a whole case of the 08 First Harvest, but certainly did enjoy it.
Would definately consider giving Galaxy a try base on that alone.

Hey Tony you got a sample.

What is this !!!

Us poor buggers that have to pay for our hops .

and you get a sample

what is this favouritism .

Pumpy :)

What........... you pay for your hops?

I usually call less than kalf a KG a sample pack............ 90g doesnt go far.

cheers

Quite a big fan of this years offering, at least the hop element. Not as much as the missus, who end up buying a whole case of the 08 First Harvest, but certainly did enjoy it.
Would definately consider giving Galaxy a try base on that alone.

Hi Muggus. This year's (2008) is NOT hopped with Galaxy, only the 2006 and 2007 were, sorry if my post was misleading.
This year's is hopped with three brand spankin' new varieties straight out of HPA's breeding program. Good on these guys for the work they're doing breeding these new varieties though we see few enough of them in the homebrew market.

MFS.

Hi Muggus. This year's (2008) is NOT hopped with Galaxy, only the 2006 and 2007 were, sorry if my post was misleading.
This year's is hopped with three brand spankin' new varieties straight out of HPA's breeding program. Good on these guys for the work they're doing breeding these new varieties though we see few enough of them in the homebrew market.

MFS.

Picked up a tester of this the other day, the hops are called Guy Fawkes, Mill Line, and Strickland Falls. I don't have any excuse for a tasters palette, but I can taste and smell some kind of grapey kinda wine taste. Anyone else pick up on that? If this has already been discussed at length elsewhere then I apologize :)

I find it does have a punchlke tropical flavour upfront, but it's very fleeting and covered quite quickly by crystal and more herbaceous hop characters. Took me a few bottles to get that initial impression.

Hi all, i'm keen to brew a sample pale ale with galaxy. Does anybody know of a hbs in sydney that sells them?

Hi all, i'm keen to brew a sample pale ale with galaxy. Does anybody know of a hbs in sydney that sells them?

Could be time for a Hop Bulk-Buy! You would be the new "Benchmark"

:p

Cheers
Gerard

I got a pack that I'm most eagerly gunna have-at on the weekend... Might even let you have a wee sniff T.D. :p ;)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back