Mill kicking back drill drive?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chug!chug!

Reaction score
I drive my Crankenstein mill with a torx bit on my drill as I have done for a couple of years.

Today the mill was kicking back into the drill and not drawing grain from the hopper.

I lubed the bearings but it still happened. There were metal filings on the bit.

Any ideas?

You might've misaligned the end plates. Loosen the bolts holding the setup rigid and turn the driving roller by hand. If it spins freely-ish then carefully tighten the bolts back up noticing what introduces resistance and leave that one a bit slack. Align with square etc if you really want to.

Edit: autocorrect

Is it a 3 roller? Mine won't feed any grain if the bottom roller is adjusted to tight.
Rich

Check that your drill chuck is correctly aligned with the grooves in your mill's drive shaft, and that the chuck is sufficiently tightened to avoid skipping.

I had the same thing happen to me last brew session, after a couple of strange 'kicks', I realised what was wrong, realigned, re-tightened, and it was all fine.

Latest posts

Back