Mill Help - Tarnish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
ok,

I was putting my mill rig together (Based on a Monster Mill 2) and when I got the mill out of the box, there was a little surface rust on it. It has been sitting next to my fish tank and most likely got a couple of splashes when cleaning the tank.

So anyway, I used some rust removal stuff (Rannex Rust Buster) and it worked a treat, looked great, anyway about 10 seconds later there is a tarnish looking effect all over the rollers??? Does anyone know what this would be or how to get it off?

BTW: The only info I could get on the rollers is they are made of "Steel" :excl:

I had a similar problem with my Barley crusher Grain Mill. I had it about 4 months before getting a chance to use it & when I pulled it out of the box I had it stored in, there was some surface rust on the Stainless rollers. I tried using a wire brush but hardly made an impact so I ran a handfull of Pilsner malt through it & now its good. Rust is probably still there but the flour coating from the grain covers it up. Not worried anymore.
Sorry I can't help with the tarnish.
Cheers,
Crusty

Mine had a 'special tarnish' on it's black steel rollers. This was due to me storing some rice gulls in the hopper for a few weeks......until I discovered that I was also storing mice...and their effluent.....their corrosive effluent......
Some serious elbow grease with a wire brush and a few crushes later the 'tarnish' is nearly gone.....
:blink: .

:lol:

:blink: :icon_vomit:

Mine had a 'special tarnish' on it's black steel rollers. This was due to me storing some rice gulls in the hopper for a few weeks......until I discovered that I was also storing mice...and their effluent.....their corrosive effluent......
Some serious elbow grease with a wire brush and a few crushes later the 'tarnish' is nearly gone.....
:blink: .

You should see the tarnish when one of the little buggers gets stuck in the hopper, you chuck grain in, and as you mill there is a bit of a clunkand a pancake shaped mouse lands in the grist. Wire brush didnt work very well in cleaning the rollers then either.

You should see the tarnish when one of the little buggers gets stuck in the hopper, you chuck grain in, and as you mill there is a bit of a clunkand a pancake shaped mouse lands in the grist. Wire brush didnt work very well in cleaning the rollers then either.

s3600134_sm.jpg

Hahn

Get a grip, its a little bit of rust, it wont hurt you,run a bit of grain thru it first

otherwise you will DIE A HORRIBLE SLOW DEATH

I feel much better now.......... B)

mmmmmm rusty stainless rollers?

If they are rusty, they arnt stainless!

Here's the thing....

Not sure if the said tarnished rollers are knurled or not, but if they are, and they were knurled with a tool that was previously used on MS or BMS, then used on stainless, it can actually cause the surface of the stainless to tarnish, particularly if it's 304 rather than 316. Same as grinding SS with a disc that's been used to grind MS, wire brush etc etc etc

Don't help him much now though.

I have a rust spot in the bottom of my HLT, product of some dodgy welding. There's a silver polish you can get for cleaning your precious cutlery and what not. The rust keeps coming back, because I keep putting hot water in my HLT, but it does work pretty well at getting rid of it.

mmmmmm rusty stainless rollers?

If they are rusty, they arnt stainless!

400 series stainless can rust. It is also magnetic. Welded stainless can rust as well. It depends on what grade it is. Stainless is not just stainless as lots of folks think, like anything else there are all kinds.

Mine got a couple of small spots and I emailed the maker about it.
They advised to not clean the dust off after using it. I cleaned the spots with a wire brush and now just leave the dust on it after use and they have never come back.

cheers
johnno

Welded stainless will rust because the heat changes the properties of the metal and it looses its stainles properties where the heat is applied.

Thats what Pickeling paste is for. I think its nitric acid............ not sure, but i painted it on all my ss welding i did on my system and it re aplies the stainless finish to the surface.

And Schooey is right. I was told by someone once that hitting stainless with a non stainless wire bruch actually implants small particles of non stainless steel material in the metal and causes the roots for corosion. like a small pot hole on the road with trucks running over it all day......... it will get worse with time.

PErhaps if its stainless and rusting, taking it to an engineering type workshop and asking for a dab of Stainless pickeling paste may help?

just an idea.

cheers

Latest posts

Back