Milk Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday guys even though I haven't knocked out my BIAB IPA I'm already jumping ahead and planning a milky stout.. I've thrown together this and though I would get some feedback...

BIAB 19L Milky Stout

4kg Pale Ale Malt
500g Crystal Dark
200g Roasted Barley
200g Chocolate Malt
200g Pale Chocolate Malt
12g Warrior Pellet, 16.0% Alpha Acid
450 g Lactose (15 min)
I'm really open to what type of yeast to use I've only ever played with us05..

Thoughts

Looks good but I'd reduce crystal significantly, add a portion of black malt and consider the hops. Unfamiliar with warrior - is it neutral?
Yeast - 1469, 1084 or whatever wyeast scottish is (brain fade)

1728 I think.

Cheers Manticle, do you recommend dropping it to 300 and added 200 of dark?

If you would like a good recipe to compare, the "Milk O Stout" recipe on the Beersmith website is a good one.

manticle said:
Unfamiliar with warrior - is it neutral?
Yep it is.

I would use a little of something else late, such as EKG, or fuggles. maybe a 10 min addition.
1469 (yorkshire) would be great, or even so4 if you want to use a dry yeast. I like it...

The warrior was going in at 60min but I'm open to all hop suggestions... I'm pretty keen to knock this one out so its ready by winter... Cheers guys feel free to through in all thoughts

timryan said:
Cheers Manticle, do you recommend dropping it to 300 and added 200 of dark?
Up to you. I don't mind a shade of crystal in a stout but I don't feel it should be prominent.
Black malt is quite distinct and can be ashy so use judiciously.
I like to blend roast malts in my stouts to get some complexity but I get most from a blend of choc and roast barley with black bringing in the colour and that touch of astringent, dry ash. Crystal takes a back seat.
All depends on what you like in a beer of this kind though.

Cheers thanks again mate.... I think I might slightly taper off the crystal and see how the figures add up on the BIAB spreadsheet

I got a newbie question, and I know this is not in keeping with the style. But would there be any reason why you wouldn't add oats to a milk stout?

I want a nice smooth creamy stout, that is sweetend by lactose? with a fluffy thick head??

I have never enjoyed stout, but I have only ever tried Guiness and Sheaf.

I'm also not too fond of ashy burnt flavours.. so I'm still confused by the Roasted Barley Vs Roasted Malt? which way do I go.

If you don't like guiness, it doesn't mean you don't like stout. Just that you don't like dry stout. Sure you could add some oats to a milk stout. you could cut the crystal out of the OPs recipe and add 200-300 gm flaked oats. Should still be sweet enough due to the lactose. Or if you still want a bit of extra sweetness keep some crystal in. That's the beauty of AG.

thanks Jack..

and
sorry to the OP for hijacking his topic

Of the dried yeasts, S-04 goes really well in a stout IMO. And I've found the batches without temp control have been just as good, if not better, than batches held at 17-18C.

I've been using Simpsons Naked Golden Oats in my stouts. (does anyone have any comments about how that differs to regular, flaked oats?)

Toasted golden naked oats (I toast till aromatic and golden brown) are the bomb.

Finally smashing this one out this week... I'm pretty sure this is my final recipe...

4kg Pale Ale Malt
300g Crystal 80°L
200g Roasted Barley
300g Chocolate Malt
200g Black Malt

15g Nugget @60min

450 g Lactose (15 min)

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

After fermentation is finished I'm going to move approximately 5L off to a second fermenter and add a small cooled strained amount of homemade chai tea... Just for fun...

Latest posts

Back