Milk Crates - Fair Game?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdavis

Reaction score
Milk crates, I regularly see them kicking around outside shops etc. Does anyone know what happens to them, are they returned to the milk companies, or simply sent for recycling? Or worse landfill?

I only ask as I would like a few to store my bottles, but have not been able to determine if they are fair game.

I am the sort of guy who would undoubtedly get caught on CCTV and raked over the coals for walking off with a couple of these, so I wondered if anyone knew what the deal is with them?

They're the property of their dairy, just like kegs are the property of their brewery.

They have the name of the company that owns them on them.

You work it out.

Just ask the shopkeeper and they might be willing to lose a couple for you, though.

crate_tall.jpg

crate_3.jpg

two words Hard Rubbish... They will appear everywhere...

I read an article in the sydney morning herald a couple of weeks ago about this. It costs the dairy industry around $3 million to replace the 700,000 crates that go missing each year. But on the other hand, it doesnt eat into their profits as that cost is passed back onto the consumer with slightly higher milk & dairy prices to offset the cost. They've even tried to come up with new designs that makes them useless for anything other than carting milk around, but all designs have failed.

It also said it's virtually impossible for them to do anything about it. Shops usually dont have the room to store crates inside, and milk runs usually happen outside of business hours - so they end up in alleyways. And no judge will ever convict somebody for stealing a $3 milk-crate - when it's more than likely that the judge him/herself has half a dozen milkcrates at home in their garage as well.

two words Hard Rubbish... They will appear everywhere...
C'Mon bloke...
Surely you know that these actually belong to the dairy ?
Someone always owns the things we covet..like those stainless 50 litre kegs we all want..owned by the brewery's..unless legally acquired...
To the OP..I reckon if you see them near a milk bar..leave them...
Just my 2c
Ferg

As Kayak fishing gains popularity im seeing more and more on peoples Yaks!
They make great rod holders.

Get yourself some plastic beer crates. Boutique beer stores (there's a few of them in Vic) generally have tons of them lying around. The cost of the crate is paid by the beer importer as a deposit and generally passed onto the consumer at the retail level, and as it's not viable to send containers of empty crates back to Europe, the crates are just written off. 330ml ones are the most common from Europe, but if you're lucky you might score 500ml or 750ml size.

i work in kitchens and the amount of milk crates lying around is insane,if the people who deliver the milk don't want to take em back everytime then they are fair game(fit's 14 longnecks in them as snug as a bug) and you can stack em as high as you want.

but if you're lucky you might score 500ml or 750ml size.
Yeah, I got a La Chouffe one from Slowbeer ages ago. Probably the fanciest brewstand I'll ever own...

Milk crates, I regularly see them kicking around outside shops etc.
If they are kicking around in 1 or 2s, turned up-side-down to make a seat, they are most likely in the 'smokers corner' where all the shop/shopping center employees go to have a fag.
You will be doing them and the community a benefit if you pinch them, since maybe they'll give up the habit if they don't have somewhere to sit their fat smoky asses.

a mate of mine has about 50 in his back ard, he might part with some, not shure how much messae me if ur keen cheers

shaun

The old man told me the cops were confiscating and fining people who had them at the last Ballarat swap meet.

And perhaps some regular ones?

Over milk creates... Dont get me wrong but dont they have better things to do with their time....

The old man told me the cops were confiscating and fining people who had them at the last Ballarat swap meet.

Over milk creates... Dont get me wrong but dont they have better things to do with their time....

Thats what I thought, but why would he make it up?

(edit spelling)

Back