milestone reached.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch using just grolsch bottles! So quick :)

Quick Vs what?

Vs capping? I'd only every used swing-tops, but lately I bought some caps just out of interest.
I quite enjoy banging them on with a lump of wood (was too tight to spring for a proper lever-capper).
But I guess I only ever do less than a dozen.

Be careful of your seal with the swing-tops. In my experience, I had a lot of flat beer with those orange grommets that come with the brought bottles.
The red-rubber ones have never failed me. After the last batch, I banned those orange ones from my brewing forever.

These are all new bottles (BURP), and have the red seal.

My process :

1. Empty bottle into a glass.
2. Drink beer.
3. Rinse the bottle. This is water from an old barrel - has a tap. The "Water" is sterilisation liquid - cannot remember the name, but it takes two hours.
4. Confirm no dreg.
5. Rinse the bottle again, and fill with 2inch of "water"
6. Reseal.
7. Next day / whenever, empty the "water" out, reseal.

Bottling :
8. Open bottle, pour out the little bit of "water"
9. Fill
10. Seal
11. Goto 1.

Quicker in the sense that I have to rinse the bottles anyway. Then I have to store them, then I have to sterilise them, then I have to cap them.
1. Open a bottle.
2. Fill bottle
3. Whilst bottle is filling Open a bottle
4. When bottle is full, swap with the empty bottle.
5. Cap the full bottle.
6. Goto 3

:)

The only issue that I had last night was that I had no spare moment to drink beer. I had to stop filling to get a drink! Takes about the same amount of time to cap and open a bottle as it does to fill it :)

Latest posts

Back