Methods For Starting A Siphon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo

Reaction score
Hi,

I just know I am doubling up here on other posts our there in the AHB netherland, but I didn't find them. So apologies in advance. If you know of links to good threads on this question, I would appreciate it.

What is the best way to start a siphon? I have the silicon tubing from G&G, and had trouble kicking it off last time. I ended up resorting to using my mouth to suck, which felt very risky. The beer ended up fine (bloody great, actually), but there must be a better way. The problem is with the more viscous beers, the "jiggle siphon" method just doesn't cut it. You need heaps more suction to get it going.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

I find the easiest is to fill the tube with boiled+cooled water, then lower one end till the water flows out, then when the tube is about half full I stop the flow with my thumb at the bottom only.
The end with all the air is inserted in to the wort, the bottom end with my thumb blocking it is held over a bucket.
I then release my thumb, gravity drops the water, the vacuum sucks up the wort and gravity takes over for the wort too.
As soon as the wort gets thru the tube I kink it off, and move the bottom end into the Racking/CCing/Lagering tub.

I think an auto-siphon is what you need. I am after one myself. This thread should help.

Cheers
Stuart

Simon,
thanks for the tip. I'll be using that technique on the weekend, as finances are a bit tight.
Stuster - thanks for the link, I'll be shooping around for one too.
taking a quick look at some of the links, I didn't see any prices. Any idea of a ballpark figure?
Cheers,
Steve.

About $25 for the auto syphon, Steve. They are brilliant! Everything about them, including cleaning is easy. Also if you put the fermenter on a tilt with a couple of bungs the day before you rack, you'll end up getting virtually all the beer out without the trub. Cheers mate.

Mongo

If you don't mind me asking why did you go to the expense of Silicone tubing for a siphon? Is this to transfer hot wort from your kettle or finished beer from a fermenter? :unsure:

The "suck" method is fine. Just be sanitary in your sucking so to speak. :ph34r: What I do is cut a bit of larger OD racking hose at a length of about 2 inches and just force it over the end of the racking hose. Suck the siphon to start, let the flow begin into a glass then pinch the hose closed, take off the larger hose that you've had your mouth on then put the clean racking hose into the receiving vessel.

Excuse my cheap and nasty illustration. This will explain what I mean better.

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

Nice one Warren... :)

Must admit I use the auto syphon - wouldn't be without it, great for removing beer off a bed of hop pellets......

cheers Ross

My method is to rinse lips with vodka, then suck.

Berp.

Don't forget to put your lips back on after you rinse 'em. :p

Warren -

neonmeate said:
i like to immerse my lips in boiling water for half an hour, then suck.
[post="105638"][/post]​

same I usually have a few hits of sodium Met after too. Never could work out why my throat keeps bleading though. :blink:

Disclaimer: do not do that!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant!

Bloody hell - work was so busy that I never got a chance to post on this forum today. That's just not right!

warrenlw63 Posted Yesterday, 11:08 PM
Mongo

If you don't mind me asking why did you go to the expense of Silicone tubing for a siphon? Is this to transfer hot wort from your kettle or finished beer from a fermenter?

The "suck" method is fine. Just be sanitary in your sucking so to speak. What I do is cut a bit of larger OD racking hose at a length of about 2 inches and just force it over the end of the racking hose. Suck the siphon to start, let the flow begin into a glass then pinch the hose closed, take off the larger hose that you've had your mouth on then put the clean racking hose into the receiving vessel.

silicon hose was bought when I had different (more grand) plans for my brewery. I am itching to use it for a better purpose, but for the moment, the biggest benefit is that I can boil sterilise.

Your "suck" method sounds pretty clever actually. I think my plan will be to start with that, and upgrade to the autosyphon when my wife has forgotten my last brewing purchase.

Thanks very much for the guidance on this one.
Cheers.

Small inline irrigation tap .sterilized.
Suck turn off..then remove when ready
PJ.

That's a brilliant idea Poppa! Never heard of that one and it would work perfectly! Good on you, you cow teat grabbing son of a gun! (He's from Nowra!)

P.S. Can someone please reply to my post, 'My Next Project'? I am hanging for at least one reply!

PistolPatch said:
That's a brilliant idea Poppa! Never heard of that one and it would work perfectly! Good on you, you cow teat grabbing son of a gun! (He's from Nowra!)

P.S. Can someone please reply to my post, 'My Next Project'? I am hanging for at least one reply!
[post="105814"][/post]​
No!! You have more hair than me...

I rarely siphon but when I do, I just blast some compressed air across the end of the siphon, that gets it going in no time.

Of course if you don't time it right you can spray sticky wort around the place - practice with water first.

Resurecting a dead thread here, another thread about racking reminded me of this one, so thought I'd update with my newest method for a syphon, it's dead easy!

I now place all but a few inches of a length of (sanitised)vinyl tube into the brew.
To start the syphon is simple.
Place your thumb over the open end of the tube to seal it then start pulling the tube out of the brew and down to the racking barrel.
The sealed tube will draw the liquid with it, except for an inch or two of air near your thumb.
Remove the thumb and whalla, its flowing.

Easy as moving your arm.

I picked up a gadget from Grain and Grape yesterday, called "Phil's Siphon Starter" ($4.80... dirt cheap).

It's basically a small bit of poly tube with a ball valve inside it. You cut a bit off the end of your racking cane, use this gadget to join the two peices, and bingo.

To start the siphon, you jiggle the cane up and down for a little while, liquid gathers in the pipe and away she goes.

Worked well on a water trial last night - will have to see how effective it is in action (will have to be carefull not to stir things up too much).

Andy

Latest posts

Back