Melbourne For A Night

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, was this recently? Can anyone advise if the smoked beer is still on and which beer it is exactly?

Wait, was this recently? Can anyone advise if the smoked beer is still on and which beer it is exactly?

Was wednesday night this week, but sorry can't remember the full description. It was getting later in the evening!! :icon_cheers:

Was wednesday night this week, but sorry can't remember the full description. It was getting later in the evening!! :icon_cheers:

Had a Holgate ESB while in Melbourne also. Nectar. Pure hoppy bitter nectar. Recipe anyone?....I am searching but not found one yet.

I found a quote in a review that I have to say I agree with....It is by far the best beer I have ever drank in my life, and believe me Ive drank a lot of beer. Extra Special are definitely the key words in the name. Its like suckling from the bitter tit of God himself. Dont change a thing.

Had a Holgate ESB while in Melbourne also. Nectar. Pure hoppy bitter nectar. Recipe anyone?....I am searching but not found one yet.

I found a quote in a review that I have to say I agree with....It is by far the best beer I have ever drank in my life, and believe me I've drank a lot of beer. "Extra Special" are definitely the key words in the name. It's like suckling from the bitter tit of God himself. Don't change a thing.

Tried this beer aswell when i was in melbourne last week. And it was quite devine. Made the next beer taste like a nothing beer. Ohh well, i will have to wait for a while to try it again.

that holgate esb won a gold at the AIBA 2010....its a bloody good beer.

what ones are close to port melbourne/st killda as ill be down that way next week

I've not been there but I've heard the local taphouse mentioned a few times (St kilda).

Depending on how you're getting around the CBD is pretty easy to get to and has Beer deluxe, Transport, Cookie, James Squire (Portland hotel CBD plus one closer to Port Melb that I've not been to) and Mrs Parma's.

Mountain Goat brewery in Richmond won't be ridiculous to travel to.

Also I have a memory that there's a belgian beer cafe somewhere down St kilda way but don't quote me.

A few places my way too but that's a bit more out of your way.

the belgian is a chance and that way i can show the rest of them how to drink in style.

Answered my own question tonight. OP could be talking about either 3 Ravens Dark Smoke Beer or True South Wee Jimmy (peated). I'm guessing 3 Ravens since it has Smoke in the name. Had both and found the 3 Ravens to be much less smoky than the bottle I had late last year (which at the time I described as being a training-wheel beer for future rauch drinkers) so on that front it was a bit of a disappointment but ignoring that it was a very nice beer. Really liked the Wee Jimmy but got bugger all of the peat to be honest. Irrelevant but also had Bright's Winter Warmer which was quite nice but leaned a little hard on the coffe for me.

Back