Melbourne Bars Around Collins St

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lock

Reaction score
At late notice, I'm off to Melbourne Sunday for work, back Wednesday night. I'll be staying at Oaks on Collins, 480 Collins St.

Do any Vics have advice on decent bars within walking distance of the hotel? I've been to Beer De Luxe at Fed Square before so I'm aware of that one.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely go to Biero... its walking distance. On the corner of Little Lonsdale and William. They have a bunch of Mikkleller beers on tap at the moment plus a host of aussie beers and a squillion in bottles

Biero
Cookie
Mrs parma's
James Squire brewhouse
Penny Blue
beer deluxe as mentioned

Actually going to pop into Biero for a pint after work. Happy Days!

+1 for penny blue nice and relaxed and not too busy well not during the day

+1 for penny blue nice and relaxed and not too busy well not during the day

If you fancy something a bit more medicinal, duck into Gin Palace, 10 russell place (off little collins near flinders). They make cracking martinis. I can also recommend the duck liver pate. Always a good way to finish off the night.

Sherlock Holmes is pretty much over the road from where you're staying. Quite a few English beers on tap and bottled...

+ lots for Penny Blue. Nice atmosphere and on Monday night only a handful of people sampling a very good range of beers. I had the Holgate Temptress, very nice. They also had a Wit on the hand pump, the only beer I found served at the right temperature.

Unfortunately I ran out of time to sample the Old Speckled Hen on tap at the Sherlock Holmes.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Mountain Goat only open Wednesday and Friday IIRC. Well worth the effort though.

I was in Melbourne mid year and stayed at the Novatel on Collins, 270 Collins and next door was The Charles Dickens Pub, good selection of English beers.
Meal and a pint for under $15. Even had the evil Buckfast.
The owner is a little eccentric though :D
Sherlock Holmes was good too.

Cheers
Nige

the Mitre
The Mitre's okay, as long as you don't mind (us) suits.

The beer list is pretty ordinary. Last time I was there, the only beers of interest were Big Helga or Coopers Pale.

Go with the first answer posted, Biero has an awesome range of beers.

The Mitre's okay, as long as you don't mind (us) suits.

The beer list is pretty ordinary. Last time I was there, the only beers of interest were Big Helga or Coopers Pale.

Go with the first answer posted, Biero has an awesome range of beers.

The Mitre isn't bad for a quick drink after work and it is the closest watering hole for me. i was pleasantly surprised a few weeks ago to see the the Mt Goat tap has at long last returned to Hightail rather than the Steam Ale... happy days :beerbang:

Back