Breweries around Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian Beer Gardens (St Kilda Road) closed as far as I know.

The cafe is still open (Eureka)

All good advice thanks.

Are there any breweries that are playing with Belgian taste-a-likes? I love the strong darks from the monks, (who can resist this time of year) but I'm keen to see what the local interpretations are like.

I find a lot about the venue irksome - super loud music outside, expensive, not so great food, etc.

On the plus side, some of the staff are attractive and some of their tap beer is interesting, on rotation (had some Green Flash in last few times I was there) and well looked after.

I installed and de-installed an art show in the building upstairs so I've spent more time there after work than I otherwise would. I can think of better places to go for beer if you want to go out of your way but if you're in the area it's OK for an hour or so.

Thanks for the tips all.

Will be a while before we go still, but I've got a very full schedule until then, so wanted to get bookings out of the way early.
So here's the list:
Josie Bones
Local Taphouse - local laughs
Mrs. Parma's
The Goat - drinks and tour
Beer DeLuxe - burger and beer night

Friday night staying in Ballarat, and checking out Red Duck's selection - looking forward to that!

Haven't booked up my mornings yet (while the missus is at school), but I'm sure I'll fit in a brewery visit or 2, and go broke at a few bottle shops.

Da Bear said:
http://themallow.com.au/beer/

Stop into The Mallow for a meal and a pint while in Ballarat. Great food and best beer lineup in town.
I was thinking of just eating at the hotel where we're staying, but Scott from Red Duck also suggested the Mallow, and I just checked out the menu :icon_drool2:
Always looking for new ways to cook prawns:

"Sesame & nori crusted prawns, Bellarine Brewing ginger beer caramel, wakame & herb salad"

Plenty of ales to choose from too!

Lucky my kegs are nearly empty and I don't have time to brew til after this trip - I'm gonna need a break from good beer

Josie bones has a v impressive beer list (or did when i was there ~2 yrs ago) but be prepared for some serious burning of cash. Rather expensive!

You'll luv the Goat

2c

Dan2 said:
Won't be there Friday/Saturday so all good. Would you still recommend booking for a week night?
Sorry for the late reply mate, I might still book if I were you. I was in on a sunday night and still struggled for a seat in the waited area. :)

Econwatson said:
Sorry for the late reply mate, I might still book if I were you. I was in on a sunday night and still struggled for a seat in the waited area. :)
Booked - Cheers

We're home, broke, but happy.
Had a great week.
Unfortunately my girlfriend caught a cold the day we arrived which hung around all week. I had fun though :)

Josie Bones the 1st night - awesome atmosphere, tasty food, and a huge selection of beer. Their (Boneyard) Golden ale (which I unfortunately forgot to chase up a few takeaways of) was delicious, along with Bridge Road's "Best Little Elixir" (imperial pilsner), and Green Flash Double Stout. Didn't try the whole pig head, but the roo carpaccio was very nice.

Local Taphouse (St. Kilda) on Monday for Local Laughs - This is a must do for anyone who likes good beer (20 on tap), good food, and laughing their arse off.
Being a weekly event, I expected an amateur night, but I was wrong.

Mrs. Parma's - Nice venue, but expensive pub feed. Wasn't blown away by the schnitty, considering it's their claim to fame.

Goat tour was great. Wicked pizza, plenty of goat beer, and a very informative tour by a pretty enthusiastic guide.
Their Brooklyn Brewery collaboration "Hopfweizenbock" had just been released, and it absolutely stinks of banana (in a good way) - I loved it.

Rocked up at Beer DeLuxe and thought we were in the wrong place. Just expected a little more then a small outdoor area with a small crowd. Anyway, the burger was nice, and the sauce DeLuxe.
A couple of beers quickly went to the bladder, so we went searching for a loo - which brought us downstairs, where we found the rest of Beer DeLuxe - d'oh. Ah well - maybe next time.

Friday morning I checked out of our room (and loaded the boot with all the bottles :D I'd gathered from Purvis, Slowbeer, and McCoppins) while the missus went to school. Then dropped into Moondog to check the place out.
They had a full glass in my hand within 2 minutes :) and I hung around annoying them and helping out a bit until lunch.

Made our way to Ballarat that arvo and dropped into Red Duck. meh. Huge range, but nothing really stood out. I guess you might call his style innoffensive and approachable. But having just been to Moondog where the flavours are big, and having a hard to satisfy winter palate, Red Duck didn't impress me.

So the bottle count is around 120 (2 six-packs and about 6 four-packs, the rest all singles covering a huge range of styles).

Thanks to those who pointed us in the right direction.

Now it's time to decide what style matches roo carpaccio, then to the gun cabinet ;) .......

Forgot to mention - Nice feed at the Mallow, and both the Holgate "Temptress" and Feral "Smoked Porter" were delicious.
The missus was pissed off though. Still getting over her cold, she was already grumpy, and the only beer on the menu she wanted (Feral "Hophog") had just run out.

Oh you went to the mini beer deluxe upstairs bar? LOL. So you didn't go to the nice inside bar with DJ and at least 8 taps, full beer menu and warm fuzzy atmosphere? You missed out. Sorry should have made that clear.

Glad you still enjoyed your time in Melbourne.

The goat is great huh?

I guess we went to Beer, not Beer DeLuxe :)
6 taps, not at least 8.
Cold, not warm fuzzy.
Even the guy serving us looked like he didn't wanna be there.
I guess we'll have to go again :D

Loved the Goat.
Unfortunately my girlfriend was at the low point of her cold, and had a stack of homework. So we arrived late, and didn't stay long.
I guess we'll have to go again :D

Latest posts

Back