Breweries around Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2

Reaction score
My partner has a week of pracs at RMIT next month, so I thought I'd tag along and check out the surrounds. Never been to Melbourne before.

I'm open to suggestions on bars in the area to get a tasty pint (especially something dark, strong, belgian this time of year). Also Breweries to visit.

We'll be staying Sunday night - Friday morning on Albert st. East of the city.
We will have our own transport and her study is only 0900-1300, so plenty of time to drive around in the arvo.

Do you mean Albert street, East Melbourne?

Close enough to Mountain Goat to make it a crime not to go.

I'm no expert on melb bars/breweries, but you could try:
Little Creatures (yeah, i know, not a vic brewery) on Brunswick St, Fitzroy.
Highly recommend Mountain Goat also - great beers & setup. They also generally have something going thru a randall on the bar (yay hops!!). Food is also v good.
3 Ravens in thornbury - not been to the brewery, but some of their beers are fantastic, imho.

Foodwise: within a few 100m's of the corner of Smith St & Gertrude St in Fitzroy/collingwood has some good options, and Victoria St, Richmond for Vietnamese has some awesome cheap food. Kinda depends on your budget, though.

When I got into brewing, and after a visit to the Brewboys outlet, my dear girlfriend demanded that we have a randall when we set up our bar :D

So - Mountain Goat added to the must do list - thanks.

Keep em coming

Dan2 make Mountain Goat your plan for Wednesday night then, as they're only open Weds and Friday nights, starting 5:30. Weds is when they give a little brewery tour as well.

could always take a walk down to the Cricketers Arms on a Friday arvo.. the beer is pretty shit but the shows are good enough to make you stop thinking about the beer.... cough... cough.. :ph34r:

Yob said:
could always take a walk down to the Cricketers Arms on a Friday arvo.. the beer is pretty shit but the shows are good enough to make you stop thinking about the beer.... cough... cough.. :ph34r:
That place is just plain NASTY.

Definitely hit up the Goat. Good spot, good brewery, great beer.

Lots of good beer bars and pubs around as well.

Not a brewery but the tap house at st kilda had awesome tap selection and you can try them all in small samples on design your own paddles

Yeah sorry... his response if he took his missus there would be classic though :lol: well.. that said.. Ive taken mine there :beerbang:

Beer Deluxe in Fed square is worth a look too - not a brewery, but always a broad and well considered selection on tap. I also like a visit to Young & Jackson's - great range of beer & you get to have a drink with Chloe

Yob said:
It must be a good bar - the website says they're unpretentious! I guess this is because they have Carlton on tap. I'm guessing there's a garden path leading up to that one. Pity we're leaving on Friday ;)
The GB (Yob's 2nd suggestion) specifically mentions there's NO Carlton on tap :lol:
However, looks like I can get a decent glass of "Piss" there

I did a bit of early morning browsing and discovered Beer DeLuxe (Cheers Phil). Thursday Burger & Beer deal sounds good.

pressure_tested said:
Not a brewery but the tap house at st kilda had awesome tap selection and you can try them all in small samples on design your own paddles
Haven't looked at their site yet, but I like the "design your own paddle" idea!
So they're on the short list.

Will keep Wednesday free for the Goat.

Dropped an email to MoonDog to see if they sell/do tastings at the brewery, but if not, looks like there are plenty of outlets to get onto their creations.

Is Matilda Bay worth a visit, or too commercial? We can get their range here so they're not at the top of my list, but if the experience will be worth it.....?

Also penciled in Mrs. Parma's. Sounds like a casual place to chill one night.

Maybe avoid Mrs Parmas on a friday or saturday, it get's quite busy. If the missus is tagging along, you can book a table as well. but need to do it a bit in advance :)

Econwatson said:
Maybe avoid Mrs Parmas on a friday or saturday, it get's quite busy. If the missus is tagging along, you can book a table as well. but need to do it a bit in advance :)
Won't be there Friday/Saturday so all good. Would you still recommend booking for a week night?

i would also try the Terminus Hotel in clifton Hill.
It is the Hub for Good Beer Week and have just opened a new craft beer bar!

There is another Beer Deluxe in Hawthorn, which depending on your travels might be easier to get to. I am thinking public transport so either train to Hawthorn or Glenferrie station, it's right between.

I am another advocate for the Goat, my wife and I had our engagement party there 6 years ago, and still frequent there to this day.

On top of what is already suggested, The Alehouse Project in Lygon St Carlton is pretty good for some beer options and a bite.
As for Belgians? Maybe the Belgian Beer gardens on St Kilda rd?? Been ages since I have been there, there is also one at the base of Eureka Tower I believe..

Latest posts

Back