Mechanical Keg Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs

Kevs nude brewing bothers me!
Reaction score
Has anybody built or knows of someone who has built a mechanical keg washer? If so I am interested in finding out what type of pump they are useing. I'm planning to setup something like a spray ball on the end of a wand or lance. I have already searched online for pumps ect. there are thousands of configurations out there. I thought someone may have some experiance in this area. The pump would have to handle cleaning solutions, heat, good volumes of water at high preasure & so on. Cheers

Dr Scott from The Brewing Network has one.
There is a picture of it in their gallery here

Found the topics discussing it here and here

Their is also a show that discusses it. You'll need to look in the archive for the Sunday Show for a show around the time of the topic requesting Dr Scott to post the pictures.

Beers,
Doc

Gooday All
I use my Peristaltic pump to pump a hot solution of Napisan out the black connector and in the gas connector of a corny keg. Then swap the gas onto the next keg and pump it throughThat one and any more to be cleaned. I then pump a rinse solution through and follow that with a no rinse sanitiser. All the time the pump is running I have a beer or two and generally enjoy the day.

Cheers Altstart :rolleyes:

I thought the old fashioned way using a hi-strength mix of caustic soda, let sit for 24hrs was heaps easier and cheaper and less work. After that drain keg and rinse, then sanitise with your favorite no-rinse solution, just before filling with beer!

I just use a pond submersible pump in a hot sodium percarbonate solution.

I have a piece of irrigation pipe attached to the pump that just sprays water out the top. When it comes time to clean a keg I simply loosen the gas in and beer out connectors an put it upside down over the top of the irrigation tube and turn the pump on. Come back a while later and the thing is clean. Same thing for fermenters. It works especially well for jerrycans that have all those little spots which you normally can't reach.

Pretty much any submersible pond pump that has a head rating of around 6 foot or more would be fine.

gary.

I just use a pond submersible pump in a hot sodium percarbonate solution.

Hey Gary,

What brand and model of pump do you use ? What is your flow rate like ?
Was just looking at submersible pumps and got a shock at the price.

Doc

What brand and model of pump do you use ? What is your flow rate like ?
Was just looking at submersible pumps and got a shock at the price.

I'll have a look when I get home from work. From memory it was about $50. Was originally going to use the pump for my whole system but found that it leaked. So its now on cleaning duty. Doesn't matter if it leaks now as its sitting in a bucket of cleaning solution anyway.

gary

I just use a pond submersible pump

Guys, no particular need to run a submersible as long as you have a "self priming" pump if you don't want to have a fitting in the bath/ catch container. So if that helps, do some investigations that may save some money.

I would say self priming pumps may be a better option, especially if you are dealing with hot liquids when it comes to keeping a pump cool. Submersibles in hot liquids may lead to motor failure, but it would depend on running time factor.

Ok,

Had a look at my pump and there are no markings left on it. The label has come off. I've checked the place where I got the pump originally a few years ago and they don't stock that make anymore.

I've done a quick check and this place has a reasonably wide range at what appear to be quite good prices. Dunno how they would handle hot cleaning solutions though.

If you are after one I'd suggest something with a 1.5 metre head at least at around 1500 litre per hour. That will give you enough pressure to get the cleaning solution well inside an upturned corny keg.

My setup is a simple pipe connected to the outlet of the pump which sits inside a bucket of around 5 litres of whatever cleaning solutions I'm using. A keg goes upside down over the pipe and into the bucket and the pump gets turned on. Simple and efficient.

I can add pics tomorrow night if anyone is interested.

gary

Brilliant.
Thanks Gary.
Pictures would be great.
Are you connecting to the Gas and Liquid posts as well ?

Beers,
Doc

Long weekend coming up, and I think I'll finally get a chance to build this damn thing.
Page 15 of the latest Bunnings Catalogue has a couple of cheap submersible pumps.
Page 8 has a cheap 35 litre tub.
I have a gas and liquid disconnect and tubing and t-piece. I'm hoping that one of these pumps will have enough grunt to push the sanitising solution through the beer pickup tube fast enough to do a good clean of the keg so that a central stem with make shift spray ball isn't required.

The catalog doesn't list LPM/LPH specs, so does anyone have an experience with the 400w and 600w models to know which one will do the business ?

Beers,
Doc

I had some wickedly feral kegs about 2 years uncleaned with beer dregs and insect cocoons to clean-out. I just poured in some drain cleaning stuff (cant think of it now, what is that granulated stuff called?) from Woollies, water and shake, let sit for 1 day, shake and turned it upside down for 1 day, shake and back right way up for 1 day, shake and up side down for one day, rinse-out, shake a few times with tap water. Result = beautiful clean and shiny inside keg. Considering it takes about 10-20 days to ferment a brew, there is no time issue with my "tight-arse" method.

Is a mechanised system really economically pactical?

OK, so I don't run a professional and commercial brewery!

Hope yours cleans good for the money you spend.

Long weekend coming up, and I think I'll finally get a chance to build this damn thing.
Page 15 of the latest Bunnings Catalogue has a couple of cheap submersible pumps.
Page 8 has a cheap 35 litre tub.
I have a gas and liquid disconnect and tubing and t-piece. I'm hoping that one of these pumps will have enough grunt to push the sanitising solution through the beer pickup tube fast enough to do a good clean of the keg so that a central stem with make shift spray ball isn't required.

The catalog doesn't list LPM/LPH specs, so does anyone have an experience with the 400w and 600w models to know which one will do the business ?

Beers,
Doc

What about a bilge pump? The only hassle is their 12v but 450 GPH and only $15.00

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdeta...tAbsolutePage=1

Batz

I had some wickedly feral kegs about 2 years uncleaned with beer dregs and insect cocoons to clean-out. I just poured in some drain cleaning stuff (cant think of it now, what is that granulated stuff called?) from Woollies, water and shake, let sit for 1 day, shake and turned it upside down for 1 day, shake and back right way up for 1 day, shake and up side down for one day, rinse-out, shake a few times with tap water. Result = beautiful clean and shiny inside keg. Considering it takes about 10-20 days to ferment a brew, there is no time issue with my "tight-arse" method.

Is a mechanised system really economically pactical?

OK, so I don't run a professional and commercial brewery!

Hope yours cleans good for the money you spend.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There is no way in hell I'd put draino anywhere near my kegs!!!

Back