Meantime Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhansford

Reaction score
Last week I had a pint of Meantime IPA that was on tap at the Spotted Cow here in Toowoomba ... it was a great beer! I've googled for a recipe with no luck ... can't find any thread for it here either ... did find a post from Ross on an UK forum where he asked for the recipe ... never got one though!

So ... anyone made a good clone of this supurb example of the UK IPA style, described on their website as "The aroma is inviting, with tart citrus fruit and Fuggles and Goldings hops character overlain by a rich marzipan note.

ghhb

Yep, beautiful beer, and I also couldn't find a recipe, so I'll be watching this thread.

Had this one on tap from their pub - the Greenwich Union - lovely drop :)

Gorgeous beer.

Yet to brew it but my tentative thoughts on it were something along these lines.

85% ale malt, probably MO
5% medium crystal - its quite a light coloured IPA
10% dextrose

90 min mash at 65C, 120 min boil

OG 1.075, FG ~1.018 (beersmith predicts 1.022 but with 10% dex, a low mash temp and good attenuation i *think* it could get to 1.018).

75 IBU (complete guess so this is just what my palate thinks it is).

Fuggles and EKG being generous with the late additions and dry hopped.

I've made one english IPA/IIPA before that had similar numbers although didnt use any dex. It was an Imperial Landlord so contained styrian goldings in addition to the Fuggles and EKG.

I used US05 in that beer (an entire yeastcake which went from OG 1.077 to FG 1.017) but i was thinking more along the lines of Wyeast 1026 (cask ale) as its on the high range for attenuation (74-77%) for an english ale yeast and it clears very quickly.

This is just my 2 c, not claiming to be able to clone it but it was my musing over a bottle of this and comparing it to the IPAs and the one big IPA i had made.

Cheers
DrSmurto

While I'm a fan US IPAs over UK anyday, I love the meantime. If you do go ahead and clone it, be sure to post your results!

Thank you DrSmurto ... that's a good place to start. I'm surprised there's so little info on this beer. Looks like a trip back to the Cow for another taste test ... maybe pinch a bit in a small bottle to brink home!

ghhb

Thank you DrSmurto ... that's a good place to start. I'm surprised there's so little info on this beer. Looks like a trip back to the Cow for another taste test ... maybe pinch a bit in a small bottle to brink home!

ghhb

No worries.

Just a small hint, drinking beer is more effective than brinking it :p

All this talk about this beer has me salivating. I have an unsmacked pack of cask ale in the fridge which will be used on my all challenger IPA first and then I'll have a crack at the meantime IPA.

I did comment on this beer in the What's in the glass thread some time back. It's in my top 5 beers. It will never take the top spot, nothing can replace my favourite beer, but it does come close.

No worries.

Just a small hint, drinking beer is more effective than brinking it :p

All this talk about this beer has me salivating. I have an unsmacked pack of cask ale in the fridge which will be used on my all challenger IPA first and then I'll have a crack at the meantime IPA.

I did comment on this beer in the What's in the glass thread some time back. It's in my top 5 beers. It will never take the top spot, nothing can replace my favourite beer, but it does come close.
Ok, i'll bite. What's your favourite beer? In fact, what are your top five?

Ok, i'll bite. What's your favourite beer? In fact, what are your top five?

Timothy Taylor Landlord, fresh off the handpump in england. I lived on the stuff for 2 years before i got back into brewing. Its the reason i went AG as i could never get a kit to make a good english bitter.

The rest chop and change, i suspect i posted in a 'whats your top 5 beers' thread at least once. Cant seem to find it now.

Timothy Taylor Landlord, fresh off the handpump in england. I lived on the stuff for 2 years before i got back into brewing. Its the reason i went AG as i could never get a kit to make a good english bitter.

The rest chop and change, i suspect i posted in a 'whats your top 5 beers' thread at least once. Cant seem to find it now.

Haven't tried it, but it was a visit to the UK and sampling the bitters off the hand pumps that pushed me into starting homebrewing a couple of months ago. The english pubs and bitters were a revelation. None of the pubs in Australia i've been to are anywhere near as interesting - no atmosphere, pokies crammed in, the usual rubbish on tap.

Well ... thanks for all the help ... this is the 20l recipe I put down on Saturday ... gone with a PM suggestion to not use any crystal malt and keep most of the hop additions until late in the boil ... won't be a 7.5% beer at this experiemental stage ... expect a 4-5% result ... will keep you informed ...

GRAIN
3.50 kg. Maris Otter
1.30 kg. Munich 1 Malt
0.20 kg. Acidulated Malt

HOPS
25.00 g. Pacific Jade at 60 min.
30.00 g. East Kent Goldings at 15 min.
30.00 g. First Gold at 15 min.
20.00 g. First Gold at 0 min.
30.00 g. East Kent Goldings at0 min.

YEAST
CB S-05 CB American Ale

Kegged the Meantime IPA over the long weekend ... and also had another couple of pints of the original down at the Cow yesterday. Not very patriotic for Aussie day but who's cares. It's a bloody good beer.

Unfortunately ... my version is nothing like the original ... it's not a bad IPA ... but it's not a Meantime. So as I drink it ... it's back to recipe formulation again. A bit of a search of their website tells me this:

"Jam packed with English Fuggles and Goldings, the beer is brewed with as many hops as we can physically get into the copper. We then fill the lauter tun with hops for a further infusion and then we dry hop with the beer with even more hops using our own unique circulation process to ensure maximum contact between the hops and the body of the beer. All this gives us a final hopping rate of well over 2lbs of hops per barrel."

Now a UK Barrel is 163.66 litres and if 'well over 2lbs' is about 1.2kg then the hopping rate for 20 litres would be ... about 145 grams. My recipe was 135 grams (First Gold and EKG) ... so I'm in ball park range.

Next piece of information is this:

"Our India Pale Ale may best be described as hop wine. A light copper coloured beer it is stuffed full of Fuggle and Goldings hops by the bucketful, which throw out ginger notes and flavours of Seville orange marmalade."

It's the ginger and orange marmalade taste I'm searching for ... My clone doesn't have it. Why? Am I using the wrong hops? When a UK brewer says "Goldings" does he mean East Kent Goldings?

Anyone got any expereince with this?

Thanks ...

ghhb

Meantime is 100% Fuggles & East Kent Goldings. I'm slowly perfecting the recipe with the help of some inside knowledge, will publish when I'm happy with the results.
Latest incarnation is conditioning as we speak.

Cheers Ross

Dr, have you a TTLA recipe to share? I did one on the weekend and 'hope' I get close:

4.2kg Marris Otter
500g Munich 1
150g Wheat
45g Fuggles at 60min
60g EKG at 20min (supposed to be 30g EKG / 30g of Styrian didnt have any Styrian)

23L at 1048, mashed at 65degC. Wort was beautiful, clear and smells great. I drained the boiler rather low, there was a wash of bright green through it, so the EKG is going to be prominent! Pitched Nottingham never used before so Im looking forward to it.

Any suggestions on the above - yep, I need to use Styrian and change the yeast. Aside from that?

Dr, have you a TTLA recipe to share? I did one on the weekend and 'hope' I get close:

4.2kg Marris Otter
500g Munich 1
150g Wheat
45g Fuggles at 60min
60g EKG at 20min (supposed to be 30g EKG / 30g of Styrian – didn’t have any Styrian)

23L at 1048, mashed at 65degC. Wort was beautiful, clear and smells great. I drained the boiler rather low, there was a wash of bright green through it, so the EKG is going to be prominent! Pitched Nottingham – never used before so I’m looking forward to it.

Any suggestions on the above - yep, I need to use Styrian and change the yeast. Aside from that?

Sounds great, a bit like my "Superlandlord" recipe. I'd use Munich II plus maybe 60g Choc Chit malt. And for the yeast - If you can't scrounge some 1469 from someone who still has some, then Wyeast Ringwood is a brilliant yeast, ant it's of Yorkshire origin as well.

The big difference I can see is the yeast, which will certainly have a notable effect on the outcome. The 1469 would probably be a reasonable match for the beer, Ross may be able to make a better suggestion if he's been tweaking a clone.

I'd expect a difference with the reduced malt bill as well, I'm looking at doing a nice big English style IPA soon and just looking at recipes etc at the moment. I've also found that my English styles with EKG benefit from some gypsum as well to accentuate the hops.

Meantime is 100% Fuggles & East Kent Goldings. I'm slowly perfecting the recipe with the help of some inside knowledge, will publish when I'm happy with the results. Latest incarnation is conditioning as we speak.

Cheers Ross

Ross ... I'm not suprised you're working on the Meantime clone seeing your post to a UK forum was the first non-brewery thing I found when I googled the recipe. Your post was almost 1 year ago ... so it must be getting close ... care to share any hints?

ghhb :icon_cheers:

Bump
Ross, are you ready to share your work in progress on the Meantime IPA?

Latest posts

Back