Meantime Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Brewing Networks latest podcast:

Can You Brew It: Meantime IPA

In this episode of Can You Brew It? the team attempts to brew Meantime IPA from London England. And by the team, we mean Justin. And by Justin we mean, great...can't wait to hear what he screwed up this time. Tune in and find out if Justin was able to break the cycle and brew this English IPA with a rich traditional background and great British appeal.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/727

Cheers,

TS

I had a listen to this the other day and punched it all into beersmith with what i have available. Here is how it ends up... strange one considering the first wort hopping for a calculated IBU of 16.9 and the mash times. This has also been left as is, however if not doing a hot whirlpool add 20mins to the 5mins and 0mins additions.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: CYBI Meantime IPA
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.71 L
Boil Size: 27.03 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.66 kg Ale - Golden Promise Bairds (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.98 %
0.61 kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 9.05 %
0.07 kg Crystal Malt Pale (Thomas Fawcett) (50.8 SGrain 1.04 %
0.40 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.93 %
20.00 gm Fuggle [4.70 %] (75 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops 5.6 IBU
18.40 gm East Kent Goldings [5.10 %] (75 min) (FirHops 5.6 IBU
29.50 gm East Kent Goldings [5.10 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
31.80 gm Fuggle [4.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
21.60 gm Fuggle [4.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
21.60 gm East Kent Goldings [5.10 %] (0 min) Hops -
50 gm East Kent Goldings [4.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 daHops -

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.34 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Mash In Add 16.53 L of water at 69.3 C 62.2 C
5 min Mash Out Heat to 77.2 C over 2 min 77.2 C

edit: podcast doesn't mention dry hops... i added that portion as i think it would work

Argon, the brewer in the interview gave the IBU as 75, he then went on to give the hop additions in grams per hectolitre.

yeah i know, fwh around 80g/hectalitre and late 130g/hectalitre, with a hopback of 95g/hectalitre hopback.

Although the recipe i punched in was the one that JZ read out with an IBU of 30. It's the calculations that beersmith come out with that are weird (without starting a FWH debate).

Those hopping rates are for each hop so the FWH is actually 160gms per 100 liters, and then 270 gms for the 5 min then 190 gms for the 0 min and 200 gms for the dry hopping.

Those hopping rates are for each hop so the FWH is actually 160gms per 100 liters, and then 270 gms for the 5 min then 190 gms for the 0 min and 200 gms for the dry hopping.

The brewer interviews are valuable resources. But the recipe JZ gives out is always a little different, especially hopping rates to account for homebrewing on a smaller scale.

I made this. It's close, but no cigar.

Not withstanding, it is one of the best tasting beers I have made. Its a mouthfull of flavour and hides it alchohol (7.27%) well.

Meantime IPA[/b] (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.074 (P): 18.0
Colour (SRM): 8.9 (EBC): 17.5
Bitterness (IBU): 49.0 (Average)

69.44% Pale Ale Malt
20.83% Munich I
6.94% Carahell
2.78% Caramalt

2.2 g/L East Kent Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.6 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

edit: podcast doesn't mention dry hops... i added that portion as i think it would work

The recipe JZ provides doesn't include dry hops - but the interview with the brewer does. They are discussed quite a while after the main recipe is described.
Anyone included these?

Hoping to make something in this vein soon...

Kev

The recipe JZ provides doesn't include dry hops - but the interview with the brewer does. They are discussed quite a while after the main recipe is described.
Anyone included these?

Hoping to make something in this vein soon...

Kev
I listened to the interview with the brewer and devised a recipe based on what was said by him, must listen to the rest of the episode I suppose.
Anyway, recipe as follows. Tasting really good so far out of sample tube, will report back on the weekend as to kegged result. 1.069 down to 1.013 at 21C, chilled to 7C and dry hopped for 4 days before crashing to 0 for 4 days before kegging this Friday.
Nige

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Meantime IPA
Brewer: NigeP62
Asst Brewer:
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 32.05 L
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 76.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.33 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Bairds) (5.3 EBC) Grain 50.00 %
2.27 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter(Thomas Fawcett) Grain 34.00 %
0.60 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (16.0 EBC) Grain 9.00 %
0.07 kg Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (30.0 EBC) Grain 1.00 %
0.40 kg Invert Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 6.00 %
70.00 gm Fuggles [5.10 %] (75 min) (FWH) Hops 36.5 IBU
70.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (75 min) (FWH)Hops 33.6 IBU
35.00 gm Fuggles [5.10 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
32.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggles (Plugs) [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggles (Plugs) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)Hops -
22.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.27 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Mash In Add 16.32 L of water at 69.6 C 62.0 C
30 min Step Add 8.73 L of water at 81.6 C 68.0 C

Looks like the same numbers I got from the brewer interview...

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

I have one ready to bottle ATM that was on 1469

My efficiency was horrid due to the very poorly crushed Munich (forgot to order it milled, did my best with a soup can)

Still, it tastes ok out of the fermenter... Hopefully it won't be too unbalanced without the alcohol warmth behind it. FG was 1010

:icon_offtopic: I brewed the Meantime Porter recently too (on 1469)... Sampled the other night and it was delish! :icon_drool2:

How do you rekon something like this would go with 1098 British ale??

As opposed to Nottingham??

Have some of both, but this batch of Nott has been a bit iffy...

Kev

So how is it?

Kev
Sorry Kevo,
Didn't get it into the keg until yesterday and haven't tried it carbed as yet but the glass I had out of the fermenter was gorgeous.
Great balance with a little malt sweetness to compliment all the hops.
We have an Adelaide Brew Community get together on Sunday where I will have this beer sampled by 8 or 9 others and I will let you know what the concensus is.
For me, I'll brew this again.
Cheers
Nige

Sorry Kevo,
Didn't get it into the keg until yesterday and haven't tried it carbed as yet but the glass I had out of the fermenter was gorgeous.
Great balance with a little malt sweetness to compliment all the hops.
We have an Adelaide Brew Community get together on Sunday where I will have this beer sampled by 8 or 9 others and I will let you know what the concensus is.
For me, I'll brew this again.
Cheers
Nige

Might have to brew it again Nige... By the sounds of it, Butters is going to drink all of it!!!

True Nev, got 18L into the keg after losses to dry hops and Sampling. :D

This seemed to go down really well at the Adelaide Beer Presentation Session yesterday.
Malt sweetness, big hops, well balanced beer that doesn't show the alcohol but creeps up on you real quick. Butters falling on his arse after a few was a sight to behold. :lol:

Is it a clone? Will have to do a side by side to see but regardless, this is a great beer.

That was a top beer & when I couldn't smell the hops that should've been a giveaway that I was getting sick. I'm on the couch now feeling sorry for myself.

That was a top beer & when I couldn't smell the hops that should've been a giveaway that I was getting sick. I'm on the couch now feeling sorry for myself.

You definitely must've been sick mate. Haven't seen you bug out like that ever... Usually one to stay on for a bit. The couch will definitely help!

Nige, this was definitely one of the best beers yesterday. I always say this after having a cracker beer, but I reckon this is going on my to brew list for sure. I'll sub the EKG for Styrians, as that it what I have... Beautiful malt sweetness upfront with a real grassy, resinous dry finish. Lovely.

I'm going to replicate my swap beer for me (south pacific IPA) and then I'm going to give this a crack.

Reckon you could sub the WLP007 for maybe WLP005 or WY1469??

Cheers

If I had to choose I'd be going WLP005 as you want to get this down as far as you can and 1469 may just give up before it gets there.
The brewery uses Nottingham.
With the mash schedule I used and the Dry English yeast this beer went from 1.069 to 1.013 but still has that malt sweetness up front.
Nige

I brewed this yesterday and came out just under target. The recirc through the herms during the protein rest was had going even with 3L/kg grist ratio, grains just wanted to sink and clog the false bottom. Didn't quite hit my temps as I wasn't watching the brew as closely as I should (putting up a trampoline) and the choking of the recirc are probably the reasons for getting 1.068 instead of 1.073. Thoroughly enjoyed the smell of all the hops, but there was so much crap in the kettle and over the immersion chiller. Pitched using a bottle of 1469 trub I'd saved from a brew that finished the other day and there's good signs of ferment this morning. Should finish around 1.019. First crack at an IPA so hoping it's good.

For the invert sugar I subbed it for CSR Golden Syrup as I couldn't get my hands on any lyles golden syrup, and swapped crystal malt with caraamber. 32L into fermenter.

Back