Maybe I Need A Bigger Drill...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
OK, so now I have a mill and a hopper (I'll be posting pics later), but there's one problem- my drill is somewhat lacking in the power department. SO... what sort of drill should I get for the mill to drive it?

Cheers,
Dave

OK, so now I have a mill and a hopper (I'll be posting pics later), but there's one problem- my drill is somewhat lacking in the power department. SO... what sort of drill should I get for the mill to drive it?

Cheers,
Dave
Which mill did you get Dave?
From what I've read, different mill's have different torque requirements (MillMaster Sounds like a beast to drive!)
I've just started using a Monster Mill MM-2, and have no trouble driving it with a cordless 14V green Bosch (which has a fairly high torque figure, and good battery life for a budget drill). It seems to struggle a bit at <1mm gap settings.
I recommend getting a drill with a selectable high/low speed gear box, allowing for low-speed/high torque milling of grain.

Here's mine

It's a Metabo variable speed hammer drill

Plenty of grunt for the MM-3

rollermonstermilldrilloperated.jpg

i use a makita variable speed as seen in my other post to drive my mm but im sure bunnings or supercrap have a cheap variable speed drill with plenty of power for cheap

I run my crankandstein fine on a crappy 18v Ryobi cordless. Cost me all of $50 at Bunnings. It does have the 2 speed gearbox which helps.

Cheers
Dave

15 dollar cheapy from bunnings dont want to stuff up m aeg drll

agree with jazman - XU1 hammer drill. $15 from Bunnings. It's not cordless and before I hooked an old washing machine motor up to permanently motorise the mill it had plenty of grunt for my 2-roller crankandstein.

Last time I was in Dave's Homebrew at North Sydney I noticed he had the same drill connected to his mill out the back.

Jez

I've found it very difficult to control the speed of the crush with a corded drill. It's either too fast or not turning it at all. This is on a Marga mill so some of the other mills might be different.

Stay away from the 12V cordless from Supercheap (Super-something? brand) with the two batteries. I have one at home that I bought to use on my mill but it's going back for a return as I went through two batteries and still didn't finish a ~10kg crush.

Can't wait to hook up my wiper motor... (when I find one!).

agree with jazman - XU1 hammer drill. $15 from Bunnings. It's not cordless and before I hooked an old washing machine motor up to permanently motorise the mill it had plenty of grunt for my 2-roller crankandstein.

Last time I was in Dave's Homebrew at North Sydney I noticed he had the same drill connected to his mill out the back.

Jez

This is the drill I have. Goes really well. Apart from one thing! It has recently been clicking over to the hammer setting if there's a lot of stress on it. Makes a bloody hell of a noice when it does too. Still works ok. I've had it smoking a few times, but it keeps coming back for more! :lol: :D

Off topic, sorry [not].

Attached is a break down of the parts required to run my MashMaster mill. :lol: :lol:

arm_m11.jpg

Buga me, I've got the same parts driving my mill too! Nearly but not quite as old save 10yrs or so.

Actually does a damn fine job even though a bit slower well quite a bit really but as I try to crush the day/night before it doesnt really matter too much.

cheers,
Stout

Tonight, I introduced my shiny new 710Watt Ozito impact drill ($30) to the Marga mill I bought from Thirsty Boy now that he has a proper one. It was a somewhat depressing experience.

I don't know at what speed it actually managed to crush, but it seemed too fast. I'm not fussed about courseness/fineness of crush (I *want* fine), but how long the mill/drill will last.

Blah blah blah...

I'm now vacillating between buying a gearhead motor from Jaycar and just living with it until the drill/mill expires...

Tonight, I introduced my shiny new 710Watt Ozito impact drill ($30) to the Marga mill I bought from Thirsty Boy now that he has a proper one. It was a somewhat depressing experience.

I don't know at what speed it actually managed to crush, but it seemed too fast. I'm not fussed about courseness/fineness of crush (I *want* fine), but how long the mill/drill will last.

Blah blah blah...

I'm now vacillating between buying a gearhead motor from Jaycar and just living with it until the drill/mill expires...

I run my Margo using a B&D Firestorm at close to flat out. This mill has been used for about 60 crushes and hasn't shown any signs of cracking up. They appear to be a very sturdy little unit and although small relatively speaking they're not really cheap. Mine was about $90 about 4 years ago and the Monster was about $140 in the bulk buy and it's a much bigger unit (I assume as I haven't actually picked mine up yet).

10 to 12 kg in 2 minuites @ 150 rpm.

whole husks........ fine grist, 85% efficiency

and i can drink my beer while it cracks it for me :)

Gotta love it.

cheers

motor_mill3.jpg

Latest posts

Back