May Have Pitched The Wrong Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas2411

Reaction score
Hey guys, bought the Coopers International Lager and the Pale Ale kits the other week. When i got them home I took the yeast packets out and tossed them in the fridge.

Moments later I realised that I may have made a bit of a cock up in not marking which yeast came from which kit.

I checked the packets and they were identical aside from a 'p' after the serial on one pack and 'int' on the other pack. I figured this must be 'p' for Pale Ale and 'Int' for International Lager and went about pitching the packet with the 'p' into my Pale Ale kit + 1kg dme + .5 dex.

Didn't think anything about it until reading a discussion that mentioned the Bavarian Lager kit containing a yeast with a 'p' on it.

Now I'm a little worried about it. Could I have stuffed this one right up?

If I have put the wrong yeast in should I chuck in the other pack?

Shouldn't worry too much about it now keep the temperature down to 18C if you can and it should turn out good.

Not even sure they give you a true Lager yeast with the International Lager but somebody should be able to tell you hopefully. If they tell you to ferment at 12C on the Lager instructions then it is probably a true lager strain.

All my Coopers kit yeasts that I have just say brewing yeast on a gold sachet.

I have heard that the lager kit contains a Saflager lager yeast. The international series all have the same instructions with a little p.s for the lager kit that says to ferment at lager temps. The kit also states that it is a 'true lager strain'.

It just made too much sense that the packet with the 'p' is for the pale ale and the 'int' for the international lager!

The Coopers forum lists the kit yeasts and the codes which they use. Unfortunately the Pale Ale yeast does have Int after the code and the European Lager has P. The European Lager is a true lager yeast, and as such has to be fermented at lager yeast temperatures.

:angry:
Can I just chuck the ale yeast in now? This has been brewing since Wednesday night.

I don't have the facilities to ferment below 18 degrees at the moment.

Personally I would leave it alone the yeast in there is working for a few days may as well leave it to finish its job. Should still get something drinkable unless you are in the high 20sC then you might get some funky flavours.

The proof will be in the tasting.

Alright, thanks mate. I'll keep it as cold as possible.

Will this brew still need the recommended 12 weeks in the bottle before drinking because of the lager yeast?

Not sure why i made this thread in the Beginner Partials forum so I started a new thread more specific to my questions now that I have determined that I had indeed pitched the wrong one. Thanks for your help.

the new thread is over here here

If your still wondering or just want the info here:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

Thanks mate. I saw that list on the coopers forum earlier.

Any idea why they dont print the details of the yeast on the sachets? For example - on the euro lager yeast - saflager xxx

Back