Maximum Weevil percentage ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240219_124823_Gumtree.jpg

Last edited:
The little buggers swim, or float to the surface when soaked in water. They are pretty easy to scoop off the top with a stainless-steel sieve. It would be ok to mash and ferment out for a whiskey, not that I'd condone any such activity. However, mixing it with equal quantity of milled corn would make a fair amount of pretty nice Bourbon style refreshment.

I'd imagine it might still be ok for HB, but the big question would be how long it has already been infested and the level of degradation, and then how quickly you can use up 5 metric tons, since it will only get worse over time.

The little buggers swim, or float to the surface when soaked in water. They are pretty easy to scoop off the top with a stainless-steel sieve. It would be ok to mash and ferment out for a whiskey, not that I'd condone any such activity. However, mixing it with equal quantity of milled corn would make a fair amount of pretty nice Bourbon style refreshment.

I'd imagine it might still be ok for HB, but the big question would be how long it has already been infested and the level of degradation, and then how quickly you can use up 5 metric tons, since it will only get worse over time.
i tried the water/scoop method with a bag of infected corn last year.
not that many floated at all, tossed the lot.
only 20Kg though, not 5 tons:phew:

All grain is contaminated with all sorts of stuff. Take your "uncontaminated grain" to tropical Queensland for a week and see what hatches.

Just as well we mash and boil.

Not sure what postage would cost for 5 tonnes. On the plus side, might be a big enough package for Couriers Please to not lose.

All grain is contaminated with all sorts of stuff. Take your "uncontaminated grain" to tropical Queensland for a week and see what hatches.

Just as well we mash and boil.

Not sure what postage would cost for 5 tonnes. On the plus side, might be a big enough package for Couriers Please to not lose.
a while ago i had an outbreak of moths/larvae from an unopened box of rolled oats.
it was almost moving on its own by the time i realised.
the other infected stuff was cheap, $25 a sack, corn feed for livestock.
that will teach me.
prior to that, i had had a very expensive $80 sack of Freedom corn grits from the HBS for several months without any critters appearing.
the lesser of two weevils i suppose.

a while ago i had an outbreak of moths/larvae from an unopened box of rolled oats.
it was almost moving on its own by the time i realised.
the other infected stuff was cheap, $25 a sack, corn feed for livestock.
that will teach me.
prior to that, i had had a very expensive $80 sack of Freedom corn grits from the HBS for several months without any critters appearing.
the lesser of two weevils i suppose.
Jack aubrey approves!

lol, im curious? couldn't you just heat the seeds or something to remove the weevils or zap the grain with a high voltage arc or something?
heat might hurt the grain, but i don't think electricity will, just push a heap of voltage through the water, the coatings on the seeds should make the water conductive enough or add a little salt then put a really high voltage, low current through it a few times... That would kill anything? wouldn't it?
You could even just build a wire mesh at the bottom and top... use a couple of car coils and we make a weevil killer... you lower the top wire towards the grain on the bottom wire, now anything conductive gets frazzled? The top and botton never touch, just come close tto each other and you have a giant fly zapper thats suddenly full of flies. High power UV have any effect? that tends to break dna. dunno, just really guessing here, recall weevils from boat adventure books. Never understood how they got there unless there was infected grain in the first place.

What about a device that you could throw into a bag of wheat that sounds an alarm the moment it detects low frequecy chewing sounds or something like an early alarm? I don't know a whole lot about weevils, but i do know a lot about electronics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back