Maximum Electric Power?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
So, after reading heaps, I figure I need about 4,500 watts at 240V to make my kettle boil in a reasonable time.
Any sparkies out there got a suggestion of how I can suck this power out of the house into one heating element without expensive rewiring?
For example, is there usually a higher rated circuit that I could tap into, like the hot water?
Help me before I kill myself trying to find out.

My only other thought is to put two holes and two 2,200 Watt elements into the kettle, and plug each into a different house circuit - but two seems like a bit of a PITA.

Cheers.

Not a sparky, so use this advice at your own risk...

But I imagine your current hot water system only has a 3600W element in it. Using the basic law that that A=W/V, that means it's 3600/240 = 15 Amps.

To use 4500W, you'd be looking at a 20A dedicated circuit. Spend the cash on the expensive re-wiring before you do kill yourself. At least invite a sparky over to chew the fat.... ;)

I've got a 4600W element in my HLT and had my sparky mate wire a new 32 Amp dedicated circuit just for the brewery.
when it comes to power dont stuff around, get it done properly and by someone that knows what there doing

Franko

My kettle has two elements, 1.8 & 2.4kw. I run my 2.4 from my 15amp point in the shed and the 1.8 via extension cord to the house. I tried to run both from the shed but it tripped out the main 32amp shed breaker at the house!! Not sure whether I can have a larger breaker put in. The wiring to the shed may not be able to handle the current so I will settle for what I am currently doing.

BYB

So, after reading heaps, I figure I need about 4,500 watts at 240V to make my kettle boil in a reasonable time.
Any sparkies out there got a suggestion of how I can suck this power out of the house into one heating element without expensive rewiring?
For example, is there usually a higher rated circuit that I could tap into, like the hot water?
Help me before I kill myself trying to find out.

My only other thought is to put two holes and two 2,200 Watt elements into the kettle, and plug each into a different house circuit - but two seems like a bit of a PITA.

Cheers.

Just for a quick guide to power:- 2400w = 10 amps.
4500w = approx 20amps
I would get a 32amp outlet installed by a sparkie.

What you have to be careful with is the maximum demand of your house.
This means that your mains coming into your house can actually handle the power consumed in your house without melting.
In older areas a lot of people have to upgrade their mains into their house for their air conditioners.
If you have to end up upgrading your mains to accomodate the element then it is a very expensive excercise.
Another option would be to get 2 dedicated 10amp circuits run to where you brew from your switch board so they are only used for your brewing and that way you can run 4800w worth of power over two elements without the hassle of running leads and tripping over them with hot wort about.

Hope this helps, I tried to keep it simple :)

Reg

Reg is right. I'm putting 3 phase supply into my place at the moment, and it's not cheap!.

Your lead-in from the road will have a 60 A fuse on the connection to the house. So if you're running on a single phase, you need to think about what else might be running while you are running your gear. If you are pulling 20A, and your Fridge happens to be pulling 3A, and the Dryer and washing mashine are running all together by coincidence, you could be looking at a blown lead-in fuse (or if you're luck a main supply breaker tripping in your switch box :) )

Andy

You have to look at TOTAL demand for your house, factoring in everything from the kids Xbox the the washing machine. Generally you will have an aproxx 60Amp limit for the whole house..

READ THIS BIT IF YOU ARE AN IDIOT

If you are an idiot and run your 20Amp element and put in a 20Amp breaker/fuse to replace the 10Amp, YOU WILL cause the wiring of the house to heat up and catch fire. No if, No buts.And if your house burns down, the insurance company will laugh at you...and mutter the words " Hello D!@khead....".....yes I am serious...

You may get away with running 2 elements off SEPERATE circuits, but no doubt you will need an extension lead,The extension lead will cause a power drop, and will also heat up. You may cause the circuit breakers to trip if the fridge or other aplliances kick..

In short...spend the money and get a 32Amp dedicated circuit...or go GAs..

I'd go the two element option. Well I actually have !

I can run both elements to get up to the required temp reasonably quickly then turn one off while the boil is running. This eans I'm only using one element for the majority of the brew day and the other one I can disconnect completely. Not too much of a PITA really.

Also consider that if you decide to run a single element then you will need some way to control the output of that element to be able to adjust the power output. Something that will control a 4800 watt element is going to start to drive costs up. Is that extra cost going to offset the time/cost of running two power leads to a two element setup...

gary

I'll add my voice to the chorus. If you are mucking around with 20-30 amps, chances are you will either -
a - kill yourself
b - burn your house down
c - do both

Normal power wiring *might* handle 20 amps for a short time but it will overheat and cause shorts/fires/death/injury over an extended period (like a 90 minute boil). You need a proper 32A circuit. Installed by a proper sparky. And maybe an upgrade of the mains to the house. Or a gas burner...

Cheers
Dave

Back