max beers from one brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridge runner

Reaction score
What's the max amount of beer you can get from one brew. Thinking one mash of base malt and split to 2 pots for boil split those into 4 fermenters different yeast and d/h.

I could make 4 x 5L beers from my next run. Or I could make 10 x 2L. Or 200 x 100ml beers. The question is a bit open ended.

I have 1x20l urn 2x19l big w pots I mash in the urn then I could split with the 2 pots add steeping grain and boil each. Maybe split them to 2 fermenters each getting 6 different beers

you could also split them into 5 fermenters each and end up with 15 different beers. "How many can I do" is a very open ended question. It all depends on what equipment you have available, how much effort you want to put into it, what ingredients you have to distinguish each one...

I've got 38L of mild from my two pot stovetop method. With the urn and if you had/made a lauter, I reckon you could squeeze 50L of a low abv% beer or possibly 40L of 5-6% beer.

I regularly get 25L of 6% + beer from my method.

any beer style — split chilled, post-boil wort into two or more fermenters and ferment with different yeast strains (also try different combinations of dry hopping)
any beer style — split pre-boil, sweet wort into two kettles and boil different hop varieties or apply different hopping schedules

most pale ales or IPA and a rye beer — make a pale ale or IPA sweet wort and split into two kettles; make a small partial mash of rye malt and add this sweet wort to one of the kettles for rye version

gillie said:
I have 1x20l urn 2x19l big w pots I mash in the urn then I could split with the 2 pots add steeping grain and boil each. Maybe split them to 2 fermenters each getting 6 different beers
You're not going to boil your grain are you?

Why would I boil the grain did I say boil grain are you sniffing paint thinners?

It could be read that way. If you're using the term steeping (instead of mashing) and saying that you'll steep and boil - it could be read that way, even if that wasn't your intention.

gillie said:
Are you saying you could add different steeping grains to the two splits? If that's the case, you could steep in two other small pots at the same time as you're mashing in your urn. Would save some time.

gillie said:
Why would I boil the grain did I say boil grain are you sniffing paint thinners?
gillie said:
split with the 2 pots add steeping grain and boil each.
Yes that is literally what you said. Easy mate. Not having a go and has certainly happened to others before as recently as last weekend.

If you are cubing you could always try mixing different worts from different cubes. Maybe have a base malt wort cube and just added different steeped grain worts to it as you go along.

Just a friendly tip, not a great idea to get snarky when people are trying to help you. Otherwise, you might find your next question gets no constructive replies.

Plenty of good ideas above, but I do agree it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.

And to add an idea that hasn't already come up. You could do a maxi-biab, make a fairly neutral (colour/flavourwise) wort, split that however you want into various fermenters, add some different malt extracts (light, amber, dark, wheat, etc) to the fermenters to make up your target OG (depending on how much water you top up with and your desired alcohol content) and hit with different dry hops?

lukiferj said:
You're not going to boil your grain are you?
I boil my grains from time to time. Decoction anyone?

Latest posts

Back