Mauri Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I have learned from a UK beer forum of all places that Coopers yeasts under the lid are Mauri brand ale and lager yeasts. Wouldn't mind trying the lager as they say it's a very fast fermenter. My usual sponsor doesn't appear to stock it. Anyone tried it?

I've got plenty of the ale yeast, I save the packets for ginger beer making :D

Pat @ absolute HB stocks it........

I will be driving past there later this week with a current thought to be dropping in, want me to grab some and ship it up?

Pat @ absolute HB stocks it........

I will be driving past there later this week with a current thought to be dropping in, want me to grab some and ship it up?

That would be brilliant. If you can grab me 3 packets and pm me with your postal address I'll send you a prepaid baggie and some $
I've got Saflager S-23 but would like a fast turnaround for a couple of lagers as we're moving mid June and I want to get some beer made before I mothball the brewery <_<

Cheers

edit: just noticed the price, make that 4 packs and I'll slip a ten in the envelope. :)

I have learned from a UK beer forum of all places that Coopers yeasts under the lid are Mauri brand ale and lager yeasts. Wouldn't mind trying the lager as they say it's a very fast fermenter. My usual sponsor doesn't appear to stock it. Anyone tried it?

Go to your local K Mart, when no one's looking rip open a lid and take the yeast. Then send your mates back for discounted tins of goo !

I'm pretty certain Coopers have already dismissed this urban myth about the substitute yeast, claiming its their yeast. Where's Mythbusters when we need them !

Conspiracy theory - its Coopers yeast - made by Mauri under licence. Don't the tins still say to ferment at 26C ?

I know Ive got some here from the old Bavarian lager and Euro lager that replaced it. The problem is that they are identical to the ale yeast as far as I can see. If someone can tell me how to differentiate the ale and lager yeasts Ill happily send you mine.

Someone here posted a link to the Mauri web site before. It has a bit of Tech info from memory.

This one maybe - mauri

Interesting temperature range.

I think Country Brewer sell it.

I can't comment on the lager yeast but I'd be very surprised if the coopers ale yeast is 514..... I'd even consider eating my hat.

514 Muri Ale Yeast View attachment 26544
497 Mauri Lager YeastView attachment 26545
Account for the vast majority of the yeast under the lids of Home Brew Kits made in Australia and New Zealand so all the Coopers, Morgan's, Brigalow, Black Rock, Wander Tooheys, Cascade and I believe ESB and all the rest. I think you can safely assume that its one of these two yeasts unless the packaging specifically says otherwise.
Notable exceptions are the Morgan's Chairman's Selection, and not Australian, Muntons and the Brewcraft Imported and Ultra ranges.
So if you're looking for 497, any packet that is described as "Lager" yeast without more information is probably going to be 497. Morgan's Lager (the little 6g blue on silver ones) certainly is, and most LHBS will have that in stock.
514 and 497 are chosen for a bunch of reasons the main ones being value for money, temperature tolerance and viability when dry put simply there as cheap as chips, will cop all sorts of abuse and last for years.Are they good yeasts?

Well back to the old "depends on your point of view" for a kit maker they are the best choice, as a brewer if you don't have good temperature control and aren't looking for particular yeast characters then yes very good.

More advanced brewers will I believe get more value from better yeasts and as we all know there are some beers where the yeast choice is critical (i.e. Hefei)
What I use them for is bottling yeast, these yeasts produce nearly no flavours, even under extreme conditions, not nice when you spend weeks carefully controlling the temperature, then bottle, a couple of hot days, all of a sudden there are strange flavours appearing.
Like many things in brewing there isn't a right answer, just a lot of maybes.
MHB

I can't comment on the lager yeast but I'd be very surprised if the coopers ale yeast is 514..... I'd even consider eating my hat.

I agree. Two different kettles of fish. <_<

Coopers starts and ferments faster than 514, I know, cause I use both
all the time.

cheers
Dave

Just an update on the battle of the yeasts. Pollux couldn't get his hands on the Mauri yeasts for me and instead sent some Morgans Lager yeasts. I can't get them locally (says a lot about our LHBSs that I had to get a Brisbane made product sent to me by someone from Annandale :rolleyes: ) and I finally got round to making a lager to try one out.

So far it's behaving exactly like the Mauri lager yeast specifications, fermenting away steadily at 20 degrees with no krausen :blink: . When I bump the fermenter it fizzes up then settles down afterwards.

I've made up two batches of Australian Standard Lager (BB Pale Pilsener and Superpride ) - one of them W 34-70 fermented 12 degrees then lagered for 10 days a la Fosters, the other one the Mauri 20 degrees plus a cold crash. If they are ready in time I'll take a bottle of each to the BABBs meeting or save a couple for June and try them out on the usual suspects :beer:

Latest posts

Back