Mashtun Manifold Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of manifold do you use?

• Slotted copper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drilled false bottom

• Screen false bottom

• Stainless braid (eg easy hooker)

• Basooka

• Other

• Total voters
Good idea. It's been a while since I've been out to the local one. I actually prefer to go to the one near my parents place (3hrs away) as I'm free to wander and browse that one (and boy does the mind start to work then-hmm I could do that with this :rolleyes:). My local generally doesn't let you wander around, he asks what your after then goes and gets it-if your cryptic you get to go have a look with him. It's weird.

Thanks Sos.

I've just started using my copper manifold, and I'm happy with it (only done 2 brews on it), but it was a PITA to make.

If I was doing it over again, I'd use the stainless braid

Justin,
I made mine out of "dare I say it" aluminium.
A piece of 3mm plate was about $12.00 from memory and that was the minimum size that they woud cut at Capral Aluminium so I would have had enough to make two if I had cut the circle on one end of the plate and not in the middle (not thinking).
The aluminium is a lot easier to drill than the stainless but it still takes a long time if you drill the entire plate as I did.
Cheers

Call me fickle --- well go on :)

I have and use a Happy hooker, False bottom [SS] and a slotted copper manifold.

The choice you make is very important if you continuous fly sparge as the extraction is determined by the even flow of sparge water through the grain. If the flow favours one section of the method you use you will waste a lot of the converted sugars in the mash tun.

The choice you make for batch sparging is almost irrelivant because all the liquid is at the same specific gravity after you have stirred the mash and recircullated.

You could quite easily use a SS scrubby attatched to the back of the tap as the manifold is not the filter. By recirculting and returning the wort to the top of the mash liquid carefully the husk in the grain bed provides all the filtration you need.

I use a slotted copper manifold but I am rather lazy and could not see any point in the labourious task of fine slots with a hacksaw. Angle grinder -- it is the brewers friend -- embrace it [check it is not plugged in first] and approach the task of the 15 minute slotted manifold.

The sense of achievement is .... sorry got carried away.

And another thing --- why wimpy thin little copper -- go fo the good stuff 19mm. It is easy to work with and well it is angle grinder friendly.

Now if you are totally annal about smooth edges and "pretty" workmanship Mr Angle Grinder may not "cut" it for you. :)

For my direct heated mashtun I will try the Happy hooker as it circles the rim of the tun an won't trap any grain.

Even with grain under the manifold and direct heat and a NASA burner for heat I have no scorching problems. Did I mention the tun is Aluminium? I can't remember.

Steve. :D

Well I forgot to say what I use, it is SS braid.

Just responding to Chiller's comment about batch sparging - I don't totally agree, some arrangements allow a freer, faster flow which I personally find an advantage with batch sparging since it cuts down on the length of brew day - but that is a personal thing.

sosman said:
Well I forgot to say what I use, it is SS braid.

Just responding to Chiller's comment about batch sparging - I don't totally agree, some arrangements allow a freer, faster flow which I personally find an advantage with batch sparging since it cuts down on the length of brew day - but that is a personal thing.
Hi Sos,

I think you have misunderstood my post. My point is to carefully recircultate the wort until lump free. Read a how to I have written on Batch sparging [Grain and Grape website] and you will see I have a "run out as fast as you like" policy.

For ultimate runout speed try the SS scrubby. Faster than any method I know.

Steve.

Latest posts

Back