Mashtun Deadspace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi all,
After some ideas on how to retrieve some lost wort in the MashTun. I just ran a water test on my new keggle Mashtun, domed flase bottom, copper pickup tube & tilting the MashTun till she stops, I have almost 3 litres left in the Tun that I cant get out.
Tun is a tall keg not a sanke.
Cheers,
Crusty

Hi all,
After some ideas on how to retrieve some lost wort in the MashTun. I just ran a water test on my new keggle Mashtun, domed flase bottom, copper pickup tube & tilting the MashTun till she stops, I have almost 3 litres left in the Tun that I cant get out.
Tun is a tall keg not a sanke.
Cheers,
Crusty
All this means is you need to allow for the deadspace when calculating your sparge water. It's not that much of a big deal really.
You may have to add 20cents worth of grain to your recipes to hit targets so again not really anything to stress over.
All the tilting and rocking just isn't worth the effort, make sure your pick up tube is as close to the bottom of the tun as possible and you may get a little more out of it.
Cheers
Nige

I have mine set up so it drains from the bottom and it gets almost every last drop. Will go down stairs and take a pic or 2 after the downpour stops if you like.

Cheers

I have mine set up so it drains from the bottom and it gets almost every last drop. Will go down stairs and take a pic or 2 after the downpour stops if you like.

Cheers

That would be great mate, appreciate it.

Thanks too Nige.

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Actually glad I went down and looked as I now remember I only rinsed it after the last brew. So its all about to get pulled apart and boiled in sodium perc ready for wednesday.

Pic 1,2,3 show how it sits in the tun.

Pic 4 shows how it sits without the tun

Pic 5 shows the slot i cut into the pipe that sits below the 9" falsie and drains the wort.

Once again hope these help.

Cheers Brad

I'v got mine installed in the side. I see the benefits of installation through the bottom.
I think I will just factor in 3 extra litres to my sparge to get to target volume.

Cheers.

I need to take some pics of my mash tun since its been reworked.

Linky to Previous MT.

My current mash tun drains from the very bottom now similar to others on the above thread.

Latest posts

Back