Mash Tun To Be Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexP

Reaction score
G'day Gents,
Long time lurker, first time poster soon to be first time AGer!
I just got a 10 gallon cooler that I plan to fit a 12" false bottom for tasty fly sparge action.
However, after I got it home and started pulling things off it I noticed that at the bottom edge there is a large indent about 5cms across and 3 cms out from the edge which means a 12" falsie isn't going to fit. <_<

Will a 9" falsie still work fine? Or should I break out a dremel and cut a bit out of the falsie? Or does it not matter?

Cheers Lads

G'day Gents,
Long time lurker, first time poster soon to be first time AGer!
I just got a 10 gallon cooler that I plan to fit a 12" false bottom for tasty fly sparge action.
However, after I got it home and started pulling things off it I noticed that at the bottom edge there is a large indent about 5cms across and 3 cms out from the edge which means a 12" falsie isn't going to fit. <_<

Will a 9" falsie still work fine? Or should I break out a dremel and cut a bit out of the falsie? Or does it not matter?

Cheers Lads

Have never used a false bottom but I say cut (And get rid of the burrs). A 9" false bottom will also work but will result in a slower runoff.

TP :beer:

LexP, it sounds like you have got a 'Keep Cold' cooler or something very like it. I have one of these with the indented tap. I would suggest you check out this post, where people have gone through ways to cut false bottoms to size for Keep Cold coolers, or even buy them custom made. I personally just went with a cheaper, easier option and installed a SS hose braid. Hope this helps.

it wont make any difference if you get a 9inch falsie.

lobo

What, no batch sparging? Save yourself money and time :)

Was there a specific reason you choose to fly-sparge?

it wont make any difference if you get a 9inch falsie.

lobo

my ex preferred the 9 inch falsie. thats what she said after we broke up anyway.

daniel

Cheers for the replies guys! :icon_cheers:
Looks like I might go the 9" falsie route.

" What, no batch sparging? Save yourself money and time :)

Was there a specific reason you choose to fly-sparge?"

Yeah, I like making things overly complicated and such. :rolleyes:

I have a 9" falsie for my keep cold and it works fine. I just so happen to have this photo too:
mashtun1.jpg

Back