Mash Tun Bulkhead Fittings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horner34

Reaction score
Im setting up a mashtun for my first attempt at an all grain this weekend (or the next depending on if I go watch the blue baggers smash the pies). :p

I've got a coleman 44lt esky doing stuff all so i am thinking i'll drill a hole for some 1/2" thread and a ball valve some washers and locknuts for the bulk head.

I was wondering how the lead in brass goes with wort, and if not well what should I use instead.

Hope you blokes can help me out.

Thanks
Horner.

Best to get stainless steel. Brass is ok and you can clean it, google "palmers hot to brew, cleaning brass.
I went the brass direction at first and am currently replacing it all with stainless.

thanks for the info gregg,

I've got plenty of brass fittings around, so whats the damage on ss setup?

Im setting up a mashtun for my first attempt at an all grain this weekend (or the next depending on if I go watch the blue baggers smash the pies).

Mate You better brew this weekend.
Might take your mind of the flogging you guys are about to get.
At least if you brew then it wont be a waste of your Sunday :D :icon_chickcheers:

Horner ,

cleaning brass

white vinigar (5%acid by volume) 2 parts
peroxide ( 3% by volume) 1 part

Pumpy :)

pipe_sleeve.jpg

DSC02705.JPG

You could always try a Poly (black irrigation plastic) fitting. This will be a lot cheaper to get you started.
Not going to get into the debate of plastic V stainless steel, but I doubt you will get any taint in your wort (if you clean it well to start with).
Just go into any hardware store that sells tanks, ask for a 1/2" Tank fitting. Link below shows 25mm for $11.00. Should be able to get cheaper if you shop around, "let your fingers do the walking".
http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/category223_1.htm#1268
Cheers

thanks pumpy and schooey

I think i'll go the brass fittings for the time being.(coz im a tightarse apprentice)

and then get the spiffy stainless later when I become qualified and legally aloud to rob people.

and reg turn it up you blokes are due for a loss.

thanks for the info gregg,

I've got plenty of brass fittings around, so whats the damage on ss setup?

Horner ,

Best stay with brass !!!

$35 for one SS compression fittings ,$45 SS False bottom various SS fitting $20

Pumpy :)

mash_tun_SS.jpg

Im setting up a mashtun for my first attempt at an all grain this weekend (or the next depending on if I go watch the blue baggers smash the pies). :p

I've got a coleman 44lt esky doing stuff all so i am thinking i'll drill a hole for some 1/2" thread and a ball valve some washers and locknuts for the bulk head.

I was wondering how the lead in brass goes with wort, and if not well what should I use instead.

Hope you blokes can help me out.

Thanks
Horner.

Don't sweat the small stuff!!!!!!!!

Back