Mash Tun 101build A Gmk Ss False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoops :)
I promise to take some pics during the next mash.
I've done about 3 since I got it Ken and it's too easy :beer:
I might even do a double mash so ppl can see how easy the 2 bucket system is as well.

edit - one thing i had to get used to was fittings and the false bottom as I get quite active with the mash paddle, so i tend to bump it a bit during dough in. Because of this, I'm really glad I went for the stainless instead of plastic, and it looks shiny B)

they should be 1.5mm
Alot of people use 2mm but according to Wes at Malt Craft - 1.5mm is the best.

When i made my bucket in bucket - i drill lots & Lots & lots of 1.5mm holes.

GMK said:
they should be 1.5mm

[post="107914"][/post]​

AHA! I spent a f'n long time drilling something like 2000 holes of 1mm dia, wasn't happy with it and decided to make another tun with SS braid, will try another with 1.5mm.
Cheers.

Simon W said:
GMK said:
they should be 1.5mm

[post="107914"][/post]​

AHA! I spent a f'n long time drilling something like 2000 holes of 1mm dia, wasn't happy with it and decided to make another tun with SS braid, will try another with 1.5mm.
Cheers.
[post="108000"][/post]​
Can you run the 1.5 drill bit through your 1.0 or are they too close together.
Thats a lot of holes to drill.
:beer:

Simon W said:
GMK said:
they should be 1.5mm

[post="107914"][/post]​

Cheers.
[post="108000"][/post]​

Bindi, changed from stainless mesh to the simplest I have ever seen. A piece of poly tube with holes drilled in it, he swears by it,no more stuck sparges. It's also possible to make a cheap manifold from poly tube and cut slots or drill holes as with other designs.

recharge said:
Can you run the 1.5 drill bit through your 1.0 or are they too close together.
Thats a lot of holes to drill.

Yeah I probably could, was a very small bucket tho(approx 1.5kg grain) for the one partial I've done, won't be using it again.

oldtun.jpg

View attachment 5978
ok Ken, i promised you a pic
not much to see just after dough in and a mix.
note the fitting on the tap. this is cool. i made up a little hose that goes from the kettle (my HLT) to the tap on the tun so i could underlet, and no doughballs, in fact, the whole dough in probably took 3 minutes instead of 10 minutes stirring my arms off :)
this hobby just gets easier and easier

Fantatstic....

Have a good Brew Day...

Cant wait to taste teh first beer made with the New Mash Tun...

Ken...

there's not much left of that Ken :p the joys of kegging. i'll have to bottle one for you
i'm up to about AG #9 and about #3 in the new tun
Stu reckons the way i'm going, by easter i'll have more AG brews under my belt than him. (i think he was just being nice/lying ;) )

Back