Mash Temps For High Gravity Belgians

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the fact I used T-58? :eek: :lol: :lol:

Might have to consider using it now.
I have always just stuck to the wonderful offerings in liquid form (for my belgian inspired beasts) ...... but now......

You gotta be careful with T-58 though, treat it wrong and you have pepper, pepper, and more pepper.

Quick question
When i made some Candi Sugar, I added it during the boil so it would liquify into the brew. When you say you added it after ferment, did you add it to the fermenter as whole chunks of hard candi, or did you boil it down somehow? I figuered that adding 1 litre of boiling sugar/water to a fermented beer wouldnt be the best for it.
Hope that makes sense.

I let it cool and set in a stainless steel bowl then soaked the bowl in hot water which loosens the sugar block. I then chucked the whole thing in so it wasn't that incremental. Because it's still fermenting vigorously enough, there's no concern about it dissolving. It gets eaten (have racked the brew since and no sugar was within cooee of the trub).

Various references (including the 3787 description on the wyeast site) recommend adding simple sugars later. Palmer has a section on it - something to do with yeast stopping producing the enzyme that digests maltose if they feed on too much simple sugar first. I think it's also the reason you don't make starters with dextrose.

Latest posts

Back