Mash Master Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreads_2006

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what sort of drill will be big enough to fit the shaft of the mash master mini mill and have good speed control. Doing it by hand is very labour intensive and takes a lot of time.
Cheers

I just use a standard dewalt cordless drill, If you are buying a drill just make sure it has a 13mm chuck.

Geared Ozito from Bunnings. Runs nice and slow. Also great for drilling big holes in stainless steel easily.

Yes, I also use a ozito geared masonary drill (not on hammer setting), works great for all the 20kg of corn i grind at a time

Another vote for the ozito. Great torque and speed control and another vote for it's stainless drilling abilities.

Have a look in your local pawn broker. They usually have a heap of used drills for sale at dirt cheap prices.

Another ozito user here, for the price with the replacement warranty, if it breaks you just swap it out for a new one. I run it on the slowest setting, with the mini mill and I get a pretty good crush for my 3v setup.

Dewalt, but no specific need for that. Get the cheap Ozito, and when it fucks up in a month or so, take it back and swap it under warranty. Wash, rinse, repeat - because it's cheap chinese bunnings shit. But, while they're paying for it... go nuts :)

Jurt said:
Another ozito user here, for the price with the replacement warranty, if it breaks you just swap it out for a new one. I run it on the slowest setting, with the mini mill and I get a pretty good crush for my 3v setup.
I've often wondered where other people are running their ozitos at in terms of rpms and crush distance ( i guess that depends on mash method as well?). I've found that the lowest is actually too slow and tears more husks (crushing at 1.2) I tend to run it a few clicks up and find a slightly higher speed gets a more gentle crush - not sure why. I'd be very interested to hear where more people are running at.

Thanks guys for your input I am definitely going to go with the ozito drill for sure

lael said:
I've often wondered where other people are running their ozitos at in terms of rpms and crush distance ( i guess that depends on mash method as well?). I've found that the lowest is actually too slow and tears more husks (crushing at 1.2) I tend to run it a few clicks up and find a slightly higher speed gets a more gentle crush - not sure why. I'd be very interested to hear where more people are running at.
I run at the lowest on 1.3mm I found whole husks in mine last time, I might tighten up to 1.2 and click it up a notch or two.

I think if the drill isn't tightened up and as far in, it loses a bit of the power and can jam slightly, maybe that's tearing?

I start my mill, then pour the grain in to the hopper as well.

I set my mill at the factory recommend 1.6mm and run the drill a couple of clicks from the lowest speed. I get great efficiency and no whole grains. When I do see what looks like a whole grain in the grist, it falls apart when I try to pick it up.
For all the discussion of mill gaps I see on here, I don't think it's all that important, at least not with my rig. (3v HERMS)

Hi everyone,

I've just bought one of these from Craftbrewer and I'm guessing people are just attaching the chuck directly to the drive of the mill is this right?

I tested this and it seems fine but I've also just ordered one of these spider couplers just to separate things a bit, the advantage being that in the event of something breaking I can just replace the coupling and not a part of the mill.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280836905226

I run my corded Bosch almost flat out, chews through 6kg of grain in under 30 seconds.

It spits the grain out with at a velocity 1/2 the speed of sound.
Had to make a metal chute to direct the grain into the bucket instead of in the general direction.

Slow settings for wimps, ain't got no time for that.

elcarter said:
I run my corded Bosch almost flat out, chews through 6kg of grain in under 30 seconds.

It spits the grain out with at a velocity 1/2 the speed of sound.
Had to make a metal chute to direct the grain into the bucket instead of in the general direction.

Slow settings for wimps, ain't got no time for that.
Pure gold.

On my part, I keep the cordless Bosch for real drilling and driving. The ozito corded spade handle drill makes nothing of much grain quickly.

By the way, all you spade handle ozito drill millers, if ever in Cairns, look up Terry in the cairns brewers group, he was the one that put me on to that drill and then it seems it's the consensus drill product on AHB now. Power of the Internet!

Hilarious elcarter. How does your crush and husks turn out?

I run my Ozito at lowest speed and it works like a charm. I've done 3 x 25litre brews and 7x50 litre batches and it is still going like a charm. I give the poor Ozito a rest for a minute after 3-4kg of grain as it starts to smell like it's overheating. After 7 months it's still going strong.

biggles266 said:
Hi everyone,

I've just bought one of these from Craftbrewer and I'm guessing people are just attaching the chuck directly to the drive of the mill is this right?

I tested this and it seems fine but I've also just ordered one of these spider couplers just to separate things a bit, the advantage being that in the event of something breaking I can just replace the coupling and not a part of the mill.

Hey biggles (and anyone else who is wondering how to connect the mill to a drill via a coupling) -

I used to connect my 13mm chuck Ozito straight to the mill shaft but after numerous slips it started to really eat into the SS so I went out and bought the coupling.

Mine seems pretty similar to yours, with the biggest difference was that I was the sucker who went to BSC and paid $50 for a lovejoy coupler (sounds like a sex toy).

I connect it in the following sequence: Mill shaft*** -> 12mm couple* -> 8mm couple -> 8mm straight allen key -> drill. *** the female slot in mill shaft is filled with a nail with the head lopped off to provide further grip for coupling grub screw.

Hope this helps.

I thought at that speed it be 1/8th crushed 1/2 still whole and the rest crushed into oblivion.

Turns out perfect every time. I don't know how or why but it works.

I personally have a hypothesis that the air may just rip the husk right off the grain at that particular velocity.

biggles266 said:
Hi everyone,

Like the above posts I got sick of the bruising and slipping on the shaft so bought a $10 drill press chuck from the big green shed and fixed that to the main shaft then the drill onto the end of the drill press shaft.

Latest posts

Back