Mash Hopping Question

• Thread starter Andrew Clark
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andrew Clark

Hi all
I am going to put a IPA down this weekend and thought that instead of dry hopping in the secondary (I am not keen on adding anything to my secondary) I thought perhaps I should give mash hopping a try. I see that Beersmith has a feature allowing for this in the calculations (what a program!!!). I have read this gives a really good result as far as aroma is concerned. Has anyone done this before and if so any advice or comments.
Regards
Andrew

Save me re-asking this question

Steve

Well I guess my question is, how much does mash hopping add to bitternes? or in other words what boil time would it compare to? just so I can get my IBU's correct in Beersmith. I was going to guess 20 or 30mins but thats based on.........nothing

Steve

C'mon SJW, we've all read on AHB that mash hopping is generally regarded as the same as a 20min addition.

Different hops, different age, different brewers, different results.

Is there any need to keep dragging up age old threads?

I'm pretty sure that's FWHing, Duff. Mash hopping is just a waste of hops in my opinion!

I'm suspect on mash hopping in the first place, but if you are going to do it, dont use pellets.

If you do it with pellets you will notice the most (if not all) the pellet gunk will just get run off with the sparge and thus its basically the same as FWH.

30min, 20min, 10min, 5min, 0min, waste of time as you say Adam.

I think there should be a poll banning SJW from dragging up threads older than 1 day.

Love - D.

Well I guess my question is, how much does mash hopping add to bitternes? or in other words what boil time would it compare to? just so I can get my IBU's correct in Beersmith. I was going to guess 20 or 30mins but thats based on.........nothing

Steve

mashhopping thread

Cannot find an excellent mashhopping discussion that i saw on AHB.

Duffs consent that it is a waste is a bit harsh.

What I recall is that mashhopping Does add to the flavour and aroma more then the bitterness for some strange reason even though it get boil as long as the bittering hops.

But the utilisation from the hops is less, therefore you will need more hops in the mash then you would in late hopping.

It is very difficult to overhop a mash.
Do not quote me in this, but I think one would need 200% more hops in a mash to achieve a same utilisation as you would for a 20 minute addition.

The other point was that mash hopping will give you a much milder/ smoother hop flavour then with late hopping.
My memory isn;t all that great but that how it is at half time b4 knocking offf to work for a 6 o'clock start
:D oops better run

I use pellets for everything and I don't get any particulates in the kettle - they all stay in the mash, just like the barley husks. As for equivalent utilization, I counted the mash addition as equivalent to a 7 min boil addition for all of the beers I did this past year and they all ended up just a hair too bitter. I'm going to alter that to 12 min for the next few batches; I think this should work out about right.

As far as whether it works or not - try it before you slam it. I think it was George Fix that wrote that any addition in the last ~20 minutes of the boil is basically a waste of hops (which I don't really agree with), and that there are some pretty complex reactions going on in the mash if you mash hop. These reactions do something to the hop oils which allows them to survive the boil.

I don't know the chemistry - all I know is that I'm happy with the result.

C'mon SJW, we've all read on AHB that mash hopping is generally regarded as the same as a 20min addition.

Different hops, different age, different brewers, different results.

Is there any need to keep dragging up age old threads?
WTF. Thanks for your inspiring input, as usual Duff.

Back