Maris Otter 2 Row - Available Here Or Close Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altone

Reaction score
I've been looking at a couple of UK recipes that use Maris otter 2 row as their base.

Can't seem to obtain it from the usual suspects.

Is it available in Aus? if so from whom.

Otherwise is their a close substitute readily available?

You will find plenty of Maris Otter floor malted malt around the place - Bairds, Thomas Fawcett and possibly Simpsons. Try one of the site sponsors or a decent home brew shop in your area that stocks grain.

Maris Otter base malt is available from various brands from all site sponsors that deal with ingredients.

Maris Otter base malt is available from various brands from all site sponsors that deal with ingredients.

Yes, but nothing sold as 2 row from what I can see - does it go by a different name in Aus?

"Usual suspects" for me are Craftbrewer, Grain and Grape and Liquorcraft (local)

as far as I know, all malt sold in Australia is 2 row. I could be wrong, but I thought its mainly in the American market where they specify 2 row or other as they also have cheaper (4 row?) available.

Links I've followed would appear to point to unspecified "2 row" being Maris Otter pale.

Could this be right for a brown ale?
Sure there's a bit of crystal, choc and black malt, but mainly the "2 row" malt.

I'll plug in these malts into my brew calculator and see if it looks the goods.

European Barley and thus the barleys brought to Australia and grown here are two row. Six row barley is the USA native variety that produces high nitrogen grains, hence the usage of heavy amounts of corn or rice in the brews to 'soak up' the extra enzymes when pale beers began to be produced there in the later 19th Century.

Don't worry, all Aus malt is 2 row AFAIK, and nearly all UK malted grain such as Maris Otter.

edit: I would speculate that the only reason that 2 row is highlighted in recipes and brewing texts is because so many of them are written in the USA. So references to 2 row is more for their benefit, not ours. Ignore it.

Latest posts

Back