Marga Straight Driver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
This fits really snug. Sacrificed philips head driver. Only took a touch with a file to the flukes.
Fits much tighter than the crank handle.
100_4449.JPG

100_4450.JPG

Note; really cheap drivers sometimes have a spline type section around the shaft I think this one was an old Stanley.
Daz

A 10mm spade drill bit is the standard way to drive a marga ;)

So your using the handle end in the mill and the philips end in the drill chuck? Interesting. How does it compare to a 10mm spade bit?

i used a masonary bit for yonks on the old marga.

A 10mm spade drill bit is the standard way to drive a marga ;)

So your using the handle end in the mill and the philips end in the drill chuck? Interesting. How does it compare to a 10mm spade bit?

Yeh, you could cut it to length of course.
Just as an aside, Im still thinking of a way to fit a pulley wheel with bearings or bushes that also fit the driver shaft but for now my battery driver does the trick.I used to use the old dynabolt and drill but soon went back to the crank handle for fear of ruining my mill.

I havent tried a spade bit. I would think it would only be located in the keyways in the mill which would lend itself to being flogged out pretty quick. With the philips driver it is a snug fit with the main shaft also acting to locate as its such a good fit.
Cheers
Daz

i just heated mine up with the oxy and bent it straight and spun it up on the lathe to get it running true....havent tried it yet :)

My second hand Marga came with a dynabolt and a nut welded onto it, that the drill chuck grasps. However my Ozito corded drill is a cheapy supposedly "keyless chuck" which tends to unwind itself so I just tape the chuck with packing tape and it stays tight.

:icon_offtopic: are you supposed to lubricate the running gear of Margas at all, or just run them as is?

Hi Guys,

I started out with a Marga and I used to drive it with a screwdriver blade and a drill. That seemed to work OK for a couple of years.

I do remember reading once where someone tapped a thread into the internal part of the Marga axle and screwed a bolt in and then cut it off to make a "male" shaft so that a drill or pulley/coupling could be attached.
Maybe one of the older posters on here can give a link to the modification.

Cheers

Back