March Madness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
Ok so I have you going and I bet you think this is about our fool game of basketball in the USA.

No, I was wondering if any of you are brewing a lawn mower beer now that fall is fast approaching on you?

I have read inquiries about wheat beers, and while I feel every beer style is in season, I would guess you are brewing beers more suited to the change in weather.

It is starting to chill down a bit now, my brewing will be reflected by a change from light hoppy ales, to slightly more malty styles. Currently got an Amber ale ready to go into the keg and just finished brewing an American Brown ale.

I brew my beers depending on the current yeast I have going, my next yeast will be an english variety and I'm thinking Bitter -> Irish red -> Chocolate Porter -> Dry stout -> FES

mmmm tasty times ahead

Planning a Vienna or two to lager over the cooler months, then it'll be into the English bitters, porters and stout.

Would have thought the lawn mower beers are more suited to the summer? My brew plans are heading in the same direction as c_west with an irish red and english special bitter on the cards. Aim to have the bitter pouring from the beer engine some time next month. Was looking at a pils to break it up, but may opt for an IPA or choc porter now that I think about it.

Ok so I have you going and I bet you think this is about our fool game of basketball in the USA.

No, I was wondering if any of you are brewing a lawn mower beer now that fall is fast approaching on you?

I have read inquiries about wheat beers, and while I feel every beer style is in season, I would guess you are brewing beers more suited to the change in weather.

I thought lawnmower beers were more in the line of summer ales, easy drinkers, so you can slake a hard earned thirst without getting the wobbly boot on. I reckon coming into autumn is the time for IPAs to come into their own. FWIW today I brewed a Sierra Navada Porter and with an SG of 1065 could be encroaching into the realms of a Black IPA.

I have brewed my last two pale ales for the season, from now on it will be heading to browns, porters and stouts to get me through Autumn (not "Fall" ;) ) then through a chilly winter.

Dubbel, Belgian Dark Strong, Trippel, Biere de Table, & Super Saison.
Lucky for me I don't have a lawn.

Doing a Irish Dry Stout, nice and simple, 70%, 20% & 10% thats Pale, Flaked and R.B. Most of the time I do only German Lagers. For some reason I could never make a good English Bitter

Steve

Yup. Planning to do a Brown Ale, IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Dark Ale (the same one I did last winter), as autumn approaches. I have to wait until I get the STC1000 fitted to the second fridge by my electrician mate (I'm not game to do it myself), before I start.

Where I live, you get two seasons - hot and not hot. So Pale coloured beers suit for about 8-9 months of the year, and the maltier and darker beers for the other three. It'll be May, sometimes June before the temp gets to the low 20's Celsius, and by the end of August/early Sept, they are back up over the mid 20's.

I'm off to do the lawn now.

Goomba

a big dirty mild is doing just right for me in this pretending to be hot/threatening to be cold type weather.

sim

Back