Manifold Construction

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugo

Reaction score
I've averaged one post per year and now I've made it two in two days.... I must be getting thirsty!

I'm trying to move into AG's using a large esky as a combined mash/lauter tun., but I'm having difficulty building the manifold for inside the tun. I wanted to create a simple manifold out of white pvc piping...

(http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.4/palmer_sb.html)

... but nowhere in my town (Armidale) seems to stock piping and fittings at such a small diameter (two hardware stores and two plumbing suppliers). I thought of using garden irrigation materials, but I doubt they'd handle the temperatures of the mash out (?).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I be looking more at electrical conduit than plumbing materials? I'm trying to avoid copper as I don't have a working blowtorch .If anyone has good suggestions for sealing the manifold outlet pipe through the esky drain hole, they would also be most welcome.

cheers

G'day Hugo. If you prefer to use copper you don't have to have a torch. Someone ? on here used a pin punch to keep the parts together.

Braided SS hose.

You will find it in the plumbing section of Bunnings. They come in varying diameters and lengths, you just cut the fittings off either end
slide the hose out from the centre, plug 1 end with a ss bolt and hose clamp, fit a barbed fitting to your wall assembly add another hose clamp and you have a manifold.

Bob's your Uncle Fannys your Aunt :D

Loc

Thanks Loc.

I've always been a bit concerned about the length of time it would take to drain the mash through ss braid, but perhaps my concerns are unfounded. It'll certainly be easier to put together.

cheers

I've averaged one post per year and now I've made it two in two days.... I must be getting thirsty!

I'm trying to move into AG's using a large esky as a combined mash/lauter tun., but I'm having difficulty building the manifold for inside the tun. I wanted to create a simple manifold out of white pvc piping...

(http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.4/palmer_sb.html)

... but nowhere in my town (Armidale) seems to stock piping and fittings at such a small diameter (two hardware stores and two plumbing suppliers). I thought of using garden irrigation materials, but I doubt they'd handle the temperatures of the mash out (?).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I be looking more at electrical conduit than plumbing materials? I'm trying to avoid copper as I don't have a working blowtorch .If anyone has good suggestions for sealing the manifold outlet pipe through the esky drain hole, they would also be most welcome.

cheers

Hugo,

Have a look here HOW TO MAKE A MANIFOLD

Cheers
Yard

Braided SS hose.

You will find it in the plumbing section of Bunnings. They come in varying diameters and lengths, you just cut the fittings off either end
slide the hose out from the centre, plug 1 end with a ss bolt and hose clamp, fit a barbed fitting to your wall assembly add another hose clamp and you have a manifold.

Loc

I would cut the fitting off only one end. You can them scrunch up the braid onto the rubber inner hose. Fix the retained fitting into a vice, and then pull on the rubber hose. You'll find it takes some effort, but it will eventually let go just inside the retained fitting. Then you just crimp the other end of the braid with a pair of pliers. It leaves you with the braid with a fitting on one end, which is perfect to screw onto a " threaded pipe. I use one like that in my kettle.
On the other hand, I made a manifold like yardy did for my mash tun.

Back