Mangrove Jack's Burton Union M79

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers tilt.

Was a bit worried as there are signs or a krausen close to forming, Just nothing solid yet compared to the usual beast mode Safale activity.... Wrapped in a blanket to give it a kick start overnight. hoping for some life by the morning.

Yep - it's not the usual ripping Nottingham or so5 kick off hey. It's got me feeling a bit uneasy too. I'll wait for the end result to see if it's a yeast I want to use again. Slight points against at the moment tbh.

I am bottling tomorrow ie 19 days after brewing, 1058° went down to 1014° ie 5.5%, I was expecting a bit more. Tasting notes to follow in 2 weeks time.

I am having the yeasty last pint from the FV and am not sure if it's the amber malt or the yeast, but there is something so familiar. Clean but still somehow fruity, like prune or some other dried or candied fruits, that green one especially, never can remember the name.

Seems like a winner, most of the bottles will go off-site for safe-keeping until Christmas so it seems like Christmas is sorted...

I like it. Currently drinking an English Pale with it, great malt taste. Dumped the slurry in a AIPA and English IPA ready to be bottled tomorrow.

I was about to use this at the weekend but read some reports of banana esters, poor clarity and overly yeasty flavour so changed to S-04.
Anyone have similar experiences with this yeast as it doesn't fit with MJ description especially flocc. 4/5??

I used the Burton Union yeast in a 1.050 Bitter (rehydrated). After 36 hours there was very little activity, but then it seemed to spring to life. Floating on top with the krausen were these little round clumps of yeast. Heaps of them. Not sure if that was normal.
Yeast got moving though: did all it was going to do within 7 days.
Can't comment on clarity because it is still bottle conditioning.

Doug2232 said:
How's your clarity tilt??

Mine isnt great atm
Too early to tell Doug. Mines been in the fermentor 9 days. The krausen dropped about day 6 and it's now finishing off and cleaning up at 21 degrees for a few days. I'd expect there to be plenty of yeast in suspension tidying up after the party. I'll rack to a keg with finings at 2 weeks and will know a few days after that how bright the beers gunna be. Give it time to do its thing I reckon

Clarity in the bottles (I'm not able to test it until Friday) is fantastic and (thanks to me knocking over so bottles and picking them up again) it appears to sit like a stone.

Will let you know about flavour, but from the fermenter smelled very 'typically English' in esters with a faint Belgian smell.

I rehydrated, was up and running in 24 hours. No worse than BRY97 for me.

Repitched slurry on a BIG beer and it was going pretty quick.

Based on smell alone, it replaces S04 which I'm not happy with, jury is out on Windsor (which is what the like for like test was for).

DeGarre said:
I am having the yeasty last pint from the FV and am not sure if it's the amber malt or the yeast, but there is something so familiar. Clean but still somehow fruity, like prune or some other dried or candied fruits, that green one especially, never can remember the name.

Seems like a winner, most of the bottles will go off-site for safe-keeping until Christmas so it seems like Christmas is sorted...
What a change in 7 days! Nicely carbonated, orangey colour. Dry, crisp, bitter. Very clean and refreshing, although it fermented mostly in 22-24°C. I am dropping Notty, these Mangrove yeasts seem to condition and clean out very quickly.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
...with a faint Belgian smell.

Yes, I agree, but without the spiciness. Seems great already after 1 week from bottling.

This beer needs to be chilled for a long time in order not to gush. Very Duvel-like dry Belgian characteristics but without the spiciness. If I was drinking this blindfolded I would say it was a Duvel-clone or something similar to the style.

Very nice but not what I was expecting from this yeast.

I have one packet left so at some stage when the fermenting temps have cooled down a bit I'll give it another try - with an English barley wine.

Thinking about using this yeast in a marris otter, challenger smash english bitter. Worried a bit about excessive esters and cloudiness some people have reported. After something nice and crisp, dont mind a bit of belgian.

Anyone get craploads of diacetyl? Well I assume it's diacetyl, tastes like a butter menthol was dropped in the glass.

I'm not going to use this one again. The keg has stayed murky as the Yarra , while the other half of a split batch fermented with another yeast has cleared nicely. The pseudo Belgian flavour isn't prominent or distinctive enough for my tastes either. If I'm going to do Belgian then I'll do it properly. Plenty of other yeasts in the sea....

Funny result @tilt - almost the opposite of what i got.

My mild was dead clear and it sank to the bottom like a mafia informant wearing concrete boots.

Easily the most flavoursome dry yeast, though nothing on the wet equivalents.

I've entered into the TSHBC as a bitter (it pretty much is), just to see what they pick up.

Yeah - thought that myself LRG considering the clear results some of you blokes seem to be getting.
I would have thought it was a process issue rather than the yeast if the other half of the wort fermented with Denny's fave yeast hadn't settled bright (which itself has a reputation for poor floccing).
This was a double batch, no chill and nothing out of the ordinary from my usual acid/salt adjustments for pale ale pH and flavour.
I'm slightly curious but not really enough to bother trying it again when there are plenty of other tried and tested yeast I know I prefer. I've put this one down to an experiment on testing a new product but can't be bothered sticking with it.

Finally the brewing of barley wine becomes closer - already started to crush 10.2kg of grain, going double-mash with my 20L BM and aim for 10% abv. A big beer indeed.

I have got 2x Burton Union yeast and am going to rehydrate for a change. The plan is not to use sugar, just aim for 1.100+ OG and get as close to 10% abv as possible.

Does this seem realistic? What can I expect from the yeast?

Back