Mangrove Jack's Burton Union M79

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
I can't find any discussion on this yeast before so I thought I'd start this thread.
I recently did a Better Red Than Dead and unfortunately MHB didn't have the yeast I was after. He suggested this instead and said it was bang on for the style.

I brewed Saturday, no chilled and tipped the contents into the fermenter on Sunday night. It bubbled and frothed to the max and I sprinkled the yeast on the bubbles. Temp 22°C with weather cooling. OG 1.054. Didn't rehydrate because I've never done it before.

Tonight, after 48h, it's still showing almost no activity. There are some coagulations forming near the surface but nothing that follows a typical ferment. It's been sitting between 18-20°C. Gravity hasn't moved.

Anyone used this yeast before? Not sure why it would be such a slow starter, my lager kicked off faster than this.

I've got another pack here. Might just commit to the $5.50 and pitch it, better than wasting a whole batch. Time to give this whole rehydration thing a go.

Thick dense layer of krausen 24h later. Either the first lot didn't work or it all took 72h to come to life.
I've never had that with a dry yeast before pitching at decent temps.

Got it kegged and drinkable.
Yeast took about 6 days after 2nd addition to reach FG. TARGET 1.015, got to 1.014.
Flocculated quite well. Actual finished product in the keg is very clear after 2 weeks. On draining the fermenter there were interesting clumps like small twisties of yeast that were settled on the bottom.
The flavour and aroma of the Better Red Than Dead are as fruity as any beer I've ever had. Stronger on the nose than to taste, but very prominent sultana and chutney type flavour which dominate the beer. I'd say it'll settle over the next few weeks, but it's fruity as buggery now and favours low carbonation.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398934592.944577.jpg

I made the same brew with the same yeast and loved it...
Not as red as yours, admittedly I did sub some of the crystals.

TheWiggman said:
it all took 72h to come to life.
I've never had that with a dry yeast before pitching at decent temps.
Danstar BRY97 is chronic apparently - I've always rehydrated and had it up and running in less than 24hr.

Some camera trickery was at play there I think indica. Against the light the iPhone gave it a red hue. On the table it's more brown than it is red.
How'd you find it for starting? Did you hydrate?

Good on you for actually following up with a report, a rare but great thing!

TheWiggman said:
Some camera trickery was at play there I think indica. Against the light the iPhone gave it a red hue. On the table it's more brown than it is red.
How'd you find it for starting? Did you hydrate?
I dry pitched and it took a while.
Slightly off topic but I have rehydrated both M44 and BRY97 in side by side brews and they both still took inxs of 24 hours to show krasuen.

Has anyone used their German wheat yeast? Does it actually throw banannas like the liquid equivalents, or is it more phenol/tart like wb06?

I need to try this yeast. Have been meaning to do so for some time.

stakka82 said:
Has anyone used their German wheat yeast? Does it actually throw banannas like the liquid equivalents, or is it more phenol/tart like wb06?
I have and it's very different to wb-06. It gave me a touch of banana with some nice vanilla flavours. Of the liquids, I'd say it's closest to 3638, without being the same.

I like it and intend to use it again.

Rehydrated four packets into 45L of a 1.080 stout. Krausen was smaller than I expected consider some things I had read. Finished at 1.020. Tasted great from hydrometer sample. Won't be tasting it for a while, but will report back when I do.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399125515.077036.jpg

Malty Cultural said:
I have and it's very different to wb-06. It gave me a touch of banana with some nice vanilla flavours. Of the liquids, I'd say it's closest to 3638, without being the same.

I like it and intend to use it again.
What temp did you run it at, MC? Just about to cube 50 litres of Hefe and I was thinking of going for 19'.

I've used the US West Coast and Burton Union yeasts, re-hydrated both, didn't see any action until after 24 hours. Both fermented in about 6 days once starting, it was a little concerning waiting for them to start but all was well in the end.

Chucked this, rehydrated onto some Mild wort (forgot to take 'cool temp' SG, thanks to SWMBO hurrying me out the door).

Forgot to close the door on the hot water system cupboard, so hopefully that hasn't hurt the cause.

At any rate, so long as it goes and does what it needs, I'll report back.

Pitched mine on Saturday arvo and its now Monday and next to no activity with the MJBU. Probably around 48 hours all up sitting at 16 degrees
Should I chuck in another pack or just wait it out???

** EDIT**
Rugged it up in a blanket. Thinking it may be a bit cold in the garage for the yeast to kick start... Hoping its still good.

I'm waiting it out. Pitched mine (1 pkt of yeast rehydrated in 200ml of 25 degree water for 20 mins) into 20l of 18 degree 1055 wort on Saturday morning.
There was a thin 1cm krausen before I left for work this morning.
Common feedback says that 48 - 72 hours before a krausen forms isn't unusual for this yeast.... And results don't seem to suffer for it.
Give it another day

Latest posts

Back