Mango IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm not sure.. Just be a try and see type of job.

It goes against my general brewing disposition but I think it might be a time where I would use some artificial mango flavouring. Might make it easier to get the flavour and the balance of the beer that I'm after.

I understand not everybody wants a Matso's clone, but in my case that's exactly what I'm after. Something to keep SWMBO happy and to dish out to the nurses at work.

Ive not tried it myself so Ive no idea what to shoot for other than having a mango profile... on the flop side, should be hard to miss my non existent targets B)

keifer33 said:
I am fairly certain that the Matsos brewed at Gage used a concentrate from this mob. http://www.tropico.com.au/products/fruit-juicespureesconcentrates

Not sure if you can buy it in small amounts but I am sure you can find something similar.
Matso's Mango beer as well as their Lychee and Chilli are all basically a Bavarian style wheat beer with bittering hops only to around 10 - 15 IBU

They source their flavour concentrates (Mango, Lychee and Chilli) from "Magnum Flavours" in WA

I approached Magnum Flavours to sell me some of the flavours Matso's use but they wouldn't and stated that it/they were "specials" that they only produce and supply to/for Matso's

Cheers

Wobbly

I did a Mango APA not long ago and yes, it was kindof mango-ish.

3.21 kg ... # Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (6.3 EBC)
0.60 kg ... Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC)
0.20 kg ... Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)
7.00 gm ... Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min)
15.00 gm ... Amarillo [10.10 %] (20 min)
10.00 gm ... Amarillo [10.10 %] (5 min)
15.00 gm ... Amarillo [10.10 %] (0 min)
20L batch, Single Infusion, Medium Body
Pacman ROGUE (Wyeast #1764-PC)

How much/what type of mango did you use and did you also encounter a watery type body/flavor?

If you're referring to me, I did not use any mango - I read the amarillo/chinook combo can give mango flavours so gave it a go using a basic APA grist. You could try the above recipe and split some to add fresh mango to experiment/compare.

These guys (Juicefactory) do Mango and just about most other flavours that people have tried in Beers http://www.juicefactory.com.au/

I have been in contact (email) with a Tom Carter and he has indicated that they can supply concentrates as well as alcohol based flavours in 10ml for around $4:50 and 30ml but not sure of price for this size. They also do on-line orders and will post

Haven't purchased any yet but I am going to give them a try when I get around to brewing a wheat beer and will dose it up with Mango and Chilli (Matso's Chango)

I guess you could do it a couple of ways add to bottles/keg after ferment or straight into the glass.

Be aware that the chilli concentrate is oily so will reduce head and if allowed to sit in a keg will float to the top requiring the keg to be shaken before serving Matso's have an issue if the bar staff don't give the kegs a bit of a shake at the start of each day

Cheers

Wobbly

So what was the outcome of this mango brewing challenge?

I currently have waaaaaaaaaaay too many mangoes and while I'm not that interested in a mango beer I'm seriously running out of ways to use them all. I really like the idea of using spicy hops on top of a somewhat mango base.

StalkingWilbur, did you end up making that recipe you initially posted?

Back