Mango IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StalkingWilbur

Reaction score
Hey guys, did a search but didn't really find anything.

I've had it in my mind for a while to do a mango IPA and after talking with a fellow brewer we're having a
Mango IPA off!

My thoughts are to do it something like the Moon Dog Mustafa's Dancing Helmet Apricot IPA that uses spicier type hops instead of the typical fruit bomb hops.

Would really love some advice from anyone who has done mango beers (especially IPA's) and for any critique of my recipe.

Haven't added the mango because I have no idea how much to use yet.

Cheers.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410084732.047878.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410084760.729575.jpg

Also considered throwing some Rye in there, but I just copied the malts from the Moon Dog website and just had a guess at percentages.

Last time I used Calypso hops they reeked of mango.

StalkingWilbur said:
Hey guys, did a search but didn't really find anything.
I've had it in my mind for a while to do a mango IPA and after talking with a fellow brewer we're having a
Mango IPA off!
My thoughts are to do it something like the Moon Dog Mustafa's Dancing Helmet Apricot IPA that uses spicier type hops instead of the typical fruit bomb hops.
Would really love some advice from anyone who has done mango beers (especially IPA's) and for any critique of my recipe.
Haven't added the mango because I have no idea how much to use yet.
Cheers.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410084732.047878.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410084760.729575.jpg
Sorry im way off topic here, but what app are you using?

calobes said:
Sorry im way off topic here, but what app are you using?
Beersmith mobile. Awesome app. Design a recipe on the PC/Mac, send to your free cloud account and copy to your phone app. You can build recipes from scratch, modify recipes, enter brew day data and an awesome timer for both mash and boil. It cost me about $6 from memory on top of the PC version but is one of the handiest additions to the brewery I use.

Mango IPA sounds tasty. I didn't mind the Matso mango beer but didn't think it very sessionable. Too much mango with little else. A nice IPA bitterness might compliment the flavours though. Do you plan to use canned fruit or boil up some fresh produce?

Subscribed.

Camo6 said:
Beersmith mobile. Awesome app. Design a recipe on the PC/Mac, send to your free cloud account and copy to your phone app. You can build recipes from scratch, modify recipes, enter brew day data and an awesome timer for both mash and boil. It cost me about $6 from memory on top of the PC version but is one of the handiest additions to the brewery I use.

Mango IPA sounds tasty. I didn't mind the Matso mango beer but didn't think it very sessionable. Too much mango with little else. A nice IPA bitterness might compliment the flavours though. Do you plan to use canned fruit or boil up some fresh produce?

Subscribed.
Thanks mate, sorry I hijacked the thread for a sec.

calobes said:
Thanks mate, sorry I hijacked the thread for a sec.
You let the internet veer off course? Ye gads man, you've doomed us all! :icon_cheers:

It's a beer related hijack, so I approve! Agree with everything camo6 said as well.

I was planning on using frozen mango flesh and then adding purée if it wasn't mangoey enough. I remember reading something about the freezing process breaking cell walls which helped with breaking down and extracting the flavor. I could be wrong though, more research required.

And I'll check that out, Zig. Wanted a spicier hop bill so it wasn't too cloying and fruit bomb overload. But some calypso and in the dry hop along with some perle could really work.

For me I'd move the 30 min to 20min and as you pointed to before go with some rye for spice say 10%

Lets us know what you go with!

Funny this comes up, Ive had something similar in the pipe for a while, Im going a slightly different direction though.

Aiming for a very pale IPA so a very light base, big FWH of something neutral and cube. (that way I can mess with the other cubes as well)

Was planning on mixing about a 3-4L of LDME 20 min boil and adding late in the ferment with a small fruity hop addition like Citra or Mosaic but using the Lipton Peach Mango Tea in the final 90 seconds of the boil.

Not sure if you've had the tea but its a massive mango hit, It started out as an idea to rack onto fruit but if I can get it from a couple of boxes of tea in a steep, Im keen to avoid the trouble and mess of fruit..

Love the idea though,

I'll have to check the tea out. I really loved the Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta and I think that could actually work really well.

I think I'll stick with real mango. As someone who used to live in Broome where nearly every house had a mango tree there's a part of me that would cry if I substituted haha.

Definitely let me know how that works out though. If you brew it any time soon and I finally get a cpbf or beer gun then I would definitely be up for a trade! Planning on brewing mine in two weeks, so plenty of time for more research and recipe tinkering.

My thoughts were initially inspired by that yeasty boys beer :)

Not gunna happen for a month or two mate, used up all my tickets last night for the next month at least, happy to swap,one.when I do it though, just the inspiration I needed to make it the next brew.

Made a witbier with mango a couple of years ago
Used 4 frozen mangoes in 20 lts for about a week during fermentation
Didnt really get much mango flavour and what was there was bland and watery
Would be trying some sort of extrct if you can find some

Personally I think the matso mango beer tastes like VB + Mango juice. I couldnt finish one bottle.

It would be interesting to do an experiment though starting from a good base, then perhaps racking off 5L into a demijohn for a secondary ferment with 5 - 10% mango puree.

The brewer who is also brewing mango IPA with me has used purée before and said it had good flavor. He accidentally used hopped lme and a solid hop schedule ontop of it, so it was overshadowed.

Yeah. While I spent many afternoons at Matso's, that's not the beer I'm aiming for.

My plan was to develop a good base recipe first. But a bit of friendly competition has blown that plan out of the water.

After trying matso's a few months ago SWMBO put me to the task.

Have only just starting drinking this..

50/50 pils and wheat
12 ibu with hurkules (17% AA hallertau)
OG 1.030
Mash 67c
1kg of frozen mango pieces in secondary

I acutally don't mind it, as it is quite smashable but the general concensuss from the family is that they are struggling to find the mango, and " it Is a bit watery" so I'd say it has a thin body.

Next attempt will be possibly swapping the pils for ale malt, mash up to maybe 70c. And I might look at some purée or tinned mango options.

Yob said:
Why swap out the pils Tahoose?
The 1kg of mangos really thins out the body, so with the high mash temp I was thinking I'd get more body from ale malt than pils..

Back